DAY TWO: Nichols Inn to A Very Visible Stealth Camp - Not My First Frozen Rodeo - CycleBlaze

January 18, 2024

DAY TWO: Nichols Inn to A Very Visible Stealth Camp

Rough Backroads

G-2 and Doris slept well in their respective rooms until their alarms went off at 6:oo a.m.  They wanted to meet at that time in order to watch cartoons together.  Being cartoon characters themselves, they love watching cartoons on TV.  This morning, they laughed themselves silly over Bugs Bunny, Daffy Duck, The Pink Panther, Popeye, and other classics. 

When they regained their senses, they agreed it would be a good idea to get an early start today.  The temperatures are expected to reach a punishing high of 9-degrees (F) this afternoon, with intense sun.  Pasty white cartoon characters do not handle hour after hour of direct sun very well.

Within four blocks of the motel, they turned onto the bike trail that runs along the Vermillion River basin and through some nice Minnesota prairie.  For some stupid reason, G-2 thought it would be a good idea to ride off-trail and into the tall grass.  Doris advised against it, but G-2 ignored her.  That didn't go so well for him.

Sure enough, he got stuck in the snow before he ever got to the prairie grass.
Heart 6 Comment 1
Nancy GrahamMight be very like his human counterpart.
Reply to this comment
3 months ago
Doris was none too pleased to have to pull him out of the snow with the rope she had packed in her pannier.
Heart 8 Comment 3
Nancy GrahamEver at the ready Doris.
Reply to this comment
3 months ago
Rachael AndersonWomen always have to get men out of trouble!
Reply to this comment
3 months ago
Gregory GarceauTo Rachael AndersonIt's true! I admit it.
Reply to this comment
3 months ago

Back on the bike trail, the pair enjoyed the changing landscapes.  Prairie, riverine shores, harvested farmland, and a little forestland.  When the trail ended, our heroes were faced with some busy roads and highways.  They checked out Google Maps on their phones and found a couple alternative gravel backroads that would take them to their destination.   Their decision to ride those roads had mixed results.   What they experienced in quiet solitude was counteracted by horrible horribleness.  Their bodies and their bikes were shaken to the core.

To most bike tourists, this gravel road looks pretty decent. To 4" cartoon alter-egos, the road appeared to be strewn with big rocks and a few boulders. G-2 took this picture of Doris trying to keep centered on some automobile tire tracks.
Heart 6 Comment 3
Nancy GrahamNothing much worse than horrible horribleness on a riverine shore.
Reply to this comment
3 months ago
Emily SharpOh, how I empathise with that sort of road!
Reply to this comment
3 months ago
Gregory GarceauTo Emily SharpI know you do. In fact, I think G-2 and Doris had it pretty easy compared to some of your roads.
Reply to this comment
3 months ago

After Doris passed, G-2 saw something amazing out of the corner of his eye.  He thought he recognized an extremely rare bird.  It was foraging out there among the reeds and grass alongside a cornfield.  To confirm his suspicion, he dug his binoculars out of his pannier.  

It was no small task. The binoculars actually belonged to his human alter-ego, and they were 1,000 times heavier than his own body weight.
Heart 5 Comment 2
Nancy GrahamThere’s G-2, strong as an ant.
Reply to this comment
3 months ago
Gregory GarceauTo Nancy GrahamI once saw an ant carrying a whole BBQ potato chip across a sandy beach. I was amazed.
Reply to this comment
3 months ago
It was worth the heavy lifting, though, because G-2 spotted a rare Yellow-Headed Green-Winged Cricket Eater.
Heart 6 Comment 4
Bill ShaneyfeltI imagine that might be exciting!
Reply to this comment
3 months ago
Karen PoretTo Bill ShaneyfeltAt least it’s not the “flying purple people eater”!
Reply to this comment
3 months ago
Gregory GarceauTo Bill ShaneyfeltCan you believe I identified that bird on my own without your usual expertise.
Reply to this comment
3 months ago

G-2 was probably the luckiest cartoon bird photographer ever.  Even some of the most experienced birders in the world have never seen a Yellow-Headed Green-Winged Cricket Eater.  Heck, I'm willing to bet that less than 10% of them have ever even HEARD of that rare species.

As if that sighting wasn't enough, G-2 also experienced a rare wildlife encounter.  He was back on pavement when a blue streak ran directly in front of him.  Doris saw it too, and she just happened to have her camera out when her boyfriend almost ran over the weird blue reptile.

Not many herpetologists are familiar with the "Fearless Snow Lizard." Normally, they are found in more northerly areas, like the North Pole. Santa sees them all the time. In the last few years, climate change has brought them as far south as Minnesota, and even Iowa.
Heart 4 Comment 2
Bill ShaneyfeltJust watch out for snow snakes! I have known skiers who have been bitten and had to wear a cast on an arm or leg for weeks!
Reply to this comment
3 months ago
Nancy GrahamAmazing is the only word.
Reply to this comment
3 months ago

It had been a long day of bone-jarring cycling and amazing wildlife experiences.  Understandably, the heroes of our story were happy to reach their destination.  "WalMart is a destination, right?  RV's camp in their parking lots all over the country.  Why shouldn't they allow tent camping as well?"  Those were the thoughts of G-2 and Doris as they set up their tent.

Heart 7 Comment 2
Emily SharpI love this. Made my day. I took some pics of my guys by a river yesterday on a work trip and was getting some funny looks - I can't imagine what people were thinking when this shot was taken 😄
Reply to this comment
3 months ago
Gregory GarceauTo Emily SharpI did my best to ignore the cars slowing down to see what I was up to. Thank goodness, nobody stopped to ask.
Reply to this comment
3 months ago

After a short nap, they woke up hungry.  "Let's ride to the WalMart and find some food," suggested G-2.

"Yeah, good idea," Doris concurred.  "What should we get?"

"I don't know, but it should be something tasty."

"Yes, and something nutritious, yet easy to prepare" said Doris, before adding, "I don't feel like cooking after such a long day."

G-2 totally agreed.  "When we get in the store, maybe something delicious will come to us."

He was right.  When they reached the Snack Aisle, the two of them looked each other in the eye and knew exactly what kind of food would fit all of their requirements. 

Heart 5 Comment 7
Scott AndersonOh, boy. Cheetos, the classic food of love. I know where this is going.
Reply to this comment
3 months ago
Karen PoretTo Scott AndersonPARTY SIZE! 🫣
Reply to this comment
3 months ago
Nancy GrahamGreat choice for nutritionless meal with love.
Reply to this comment
3 months ago
Gregory GarceauTo Nancy GrahamNutritionless? But there is corn and cheese.
Reply to this comment
3 months ago
Gregory GarceauTo Karen PoretThe BEST size of all.
Reply to this comment
3 months ago
Gregory GarceauTo Scott AndersonNot only the food of love, but the food for every emotion.
Reply to this comment
3 months ago
Rachael AndersonCheetos is a great choice!
Reply to this comment
3 months ago

They spent the rest of the night re-energizing themselves with Cheetos.  In their tent.  In the snow.  In love.  Anxiously awaiting another day of bike touring bliss.

  

Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 5 miles (8 km)
Total: 83 miles (134 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 10
Comment on this entry Comment 0