Postmortem and Lessons Learned - Cognac 'n' Oysters - Tandem Tour - Sept 2017 - CycleBlaze

Postmortem and Lessons Learned

Another great tour, despite me getting sick near the end.

We are continually amazed at our Bike Friday tandems. We have 2 and they have both given us so much pleasure over the years. We've had our Two'sday since about 1996, and the Traveler XL since about 2008. Both bikes are tough, stable, and easy to ride. Each of them fits in the back of our Toyota Auris station wagon (aka estate). On this trip, the Traveler XL had to step in for the heavier Two'sday and came through with flying colors. No issues at all to report.

Our experiment with navigation was not so successful. The lack of a map on the RFLKT+ was a serious problem when navigating through quick turns. We need a better solution that gives the navigator a better vision of what's coming up.

But beyond that, we wouldn't change anything. Our Terranno helmet intercoms worked great, and RideWithGPS is a great routing tool.

We used Booking.com for the hotels, except in one case where the hotel didn't appear on their site.

We used Google maps for all other map-related purposes - restaurants, etc.

September and October continue to be our favorite months for bike touring in France. The summer vacations are over but most tourist facilities are still open.

French hotels are generally very cyclist-friendly. We were never forced to leave our tandem in an insecure location.

We love living and cycling in France! We're going to continue to explore as long as we can turn the pedals!

Thanks for reading!

Rate this entry's writing Heart 4
Comment on this entry Comment 1
Mark BinghamI enjoyed the ride. Thanks for sharing!
Reply to this comment
3 months ago