Introduction - Cognac 'n' Oysters - Tandem Tour - Sept 2017 - CycleBlaze

September 15, 2017

Introduction

This journal covers a multi-day tour beginning and ending in Saintes, France. Our goal was to ride to the Ille de Ré and back following a clockwise circle-ish route.

The Route
Heart 1 Comment 0

This is an area of France that we had never visited. Since we like 2 of the local specialties, Cognac and Oysters, we decided it was time to visit. The 2 local specialties gave us the name for the tour.

The local specialties that gave their name to this journal
Heart 3 Comment 0

Since we live in southern France, this tour required driving to and from the start point. It's about 4.5 hours from home via the excellent French autoroutes.

Our equipment changed slightly for this tour.

1 - We rode the tour on our "sporty" tandem, a Bike Friday Tandem Traveller XL. The reasons are detailed in the journal entries.

2 - We also introduced a new navigation system. I routed the tour using RideWithGPS, and then used a Wahoo RFLKT+ on Robin's handlebars for turn-by-turn navigation. This essentially uses the RideWithGPS app on my iPhone as the realtime navigation device.

We continue to be happy with our Terranno helmet-mounted intercom system and Ortlieb touring bags.

Rate this entry's writing Heart 4
Comment on this entry Comment 0