Any Port in a Storm: Wodonga to Rutherglen - Canberra to Adelaide Sitting On a Thorn - CycleBlaze

November 30, 2017

Any Port in a Storm: Wodonga to Rutherglen

Today was another comparatively easy day of riding. Most of the ride was in scenic rural countryside with wheat crops, hay and some grazing in flat riverland and low hills. The outskirts of Wodonga have some impressively large secondary industry such as the Visy packaging factory. With trucking having displaced much of the rail freight business, transport service businesses are also a visible part of the economy here. Albury-Wodonga is a major regional centre on the main route between Sydney and Melbourne. It appears to be doing well.

Exiting Wodonga by following a westerly bearing on the compass worked well for a while. There’s a side road running parallel to the freeway which was excellent until it connected with the Murray Valley Highway. The MVH was virtually shoulderless and very busy so I didn’t stay on it for long. If felt so dangerous that I quickly turned down a gravel side road and using compass, Googlemaps on my phone, meandered by pleasant unsealed and sealed backroads to Rutherglen, a small tourist town famous for its fortified wines, especially Port.
Torrential rain is forecast so I have bunkered down in a motel.

A few pics tell the tale of today’s casual ride through town outskirts and rural countryside side .

The route westward from Wodonga started well. For at least 30km they will be aware I am a cyclist.
Why don’t they ever put bikes with panniers on these signs? :)
Heart 0 Comment 0
The truck-like Thorn Sherpa found some mates to chat to at a Truck Shop
Heart 0 Comment 0
Eastern Brown snake. Very deadly. Keep well clear.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Into wheat growing country not long before harvest
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rural renovators delight. Has potential.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Peaceful back lane detour to avoid the dangerous Murray Valley Highway
Heart 0 Comment 0
Friendly horse dressed for the occasion.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Excellent choice of ornament for the farm mail box
Heart 0 Comment 0
Making hay while the sun shines. Better be quick. Big rains are heading this way.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Arrived in time for a pub lunch of Fisherman’s Basket
Heart 0 Comment 0
Here it comes... good timing to have a couple of rest days.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Accommodation was a motel unit at the back of this grand looking pub
Heart 0 Comment 0
The weather is newsworthy. Could be true. Could be media hype.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 62 km (39 miles)
Total: 493 km (306 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0