It's a Small World: Tallangatta to Wodonga to Albury to Wodonga' - Canberra to Adelaide Sitting On a Thorn - CycleBlaze

November 29, 2017

It's a Small World: Tallangatta to Wodonga to Albury to Wodonga'

The sheer joy of cycling at a plodding pace on an easy gradient with beautiful views and zero traffic is exquisite after a few days of hard riding. Today was one of those days. It was easy and relaxing.

The entire ride was on a rail trail called The High Country Rail Trail developed by local community organisations. The ride was scenic and historically interesting. Compared to the previous few days, today’s short, flat ride was physically very easy and a provided a rest for the legs.

The weather is still threatening storms so I opted for a cheap hotel in Wodonga. The young manager of the motel is a cyclist. He loaned me a floor pump and described the cycle route to Albury which I used. He has a road bike, mountain bike and takes his young kids on rides of the local trails.

And yes it is a small world. My theory is that there are only two degrees of separation in regional Australia. I noticed that the car retail outlet next to the motel (Motel Wellington High St Wodonga) had the same name of a good friend friend from university years four decades ago. So I inquired at the showroom and confirmed that it is indeed part of my friend’s family business. And they also own the motel I stayed in overnight. Consequently we had a lovely catch up conversation by phone. By coincidence, he is also a long distance cyclist and preparing to ride the full length of NZ early next year.

I also discovered that Wodonga and Albury have quite an extensive network of multipurpose trails. I had time to explore a few of them, and was easily able to get across the river border to Albury on a pleasant trail.

Lake Hume is a human made water storage dam and one of S. E Australia’s largest bodies of freshwater. It was visible for much of today’s ride.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The rail trail passes through cuttings which were built with minimal machinery. Seeing them close up gives an appreciation of the hard labour which went into the early rail system.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A major community achievement was rebuilding a former, long closed railway bridge into this structure which greatly enhances the rail trail. The Sandy Creek Inlet Bridge.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A sizeable remnant eucalypt tree beside Lake Hume.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The rail trail passes through and close to working farms. The dairy cows ignored the cycle tourist and got on with turning grass into milk.
Heart 0 Comment 0
More evidence of the previous use of the rail trail as a working rail line.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The rail trail passes very near the back fences of houses on the lake shore:
Heart 0 Comment 0
A short side trip from the rail trail by road to the Bonegila Migrant Experience. This is a conserved site of part of a large former army camp which was converted into a migrant arrival centre after WWII.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Some of the conserved buildings at the Bonegila Migrant Camp.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Graph of Australia’s migrant intake correlated to various major world events
Heart 0 Comment 0
One of information panels on displays at the Bonegila migrant experience in the 1950s. I was interested to see the Malvern Star Bike mentioned by the then 16 year old Steven T.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A view of Lake Hume from near Bonegila.
Heart 0 Comment 0
There are many waterways and wetlands in the area requiring quite a few bridges, culverts and causeways.
There are crossings of the Murray, Mitta Mitta and Kiewa Rivers.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Refer to the following photo
Heart 0 Comment 0
One example of community involvement in the rail trail development
Heart 0 Comment 0
The trail is well signed and easy to navigate.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Bike parked at the motel in Wodonga. Not quite in the direction required.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Useful trail guide booklets available gratis from local tourist info offices
Heart 0 Comment 0
Motel Wellington High St Wodonga. Very helpful manager who is a cyclist, lent me a floor pump and offered me tools, oil and useful local cycling advice. (photo from Expedia)
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 61 km (38 miles)
Total: 431 km (268 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0