The Post Ride Lists: Lessons for next ride - Canberra to Adelaide Sitting On a Thorn - CycleBlaze

December 21, 2017

The Post Ride Lists: Lessons for next ride

The Tour Route
No major changes if I were ever to ride it again. There were a few days where I could have chosen better roads, but overall the major regions...the ranges, the river, the Mallee, the Adelaide Hills and the extra few days via the Hume Highway I would recommend to others.

The Bike
The basic bike setup was excellent. It was faultless and the refit with the lighter wheels, new brake levers, new handlebar etc were well worth it.

Very pleased with the small front handlebar bag, the top bar bag and the usual 4 panniers.

The tool container, food container and single water bottle on the frame also worked well. Carrying extra water (Platypus 2Lbladder and bottle) in the front pannier worked well. The Platypus 2 litre bladder is easier to manage than the Ortlieb bladders.

Spare tube, levers and pressure gauge in the small bag on the rear rack was good. This gives a clear view of the rear red flashers which I had going all day every day.

Once again, the clickstand proved to be extremely useful, but I almost rode off and left it behind several times.

Basic mess kit plus coffee maker was used every day.

Clothing was adequate provided I washed jersey and underwear everyday. Clothes washing detergent was well used.

Posted home. Weren’t needed.
-Two x 4 litre water bladders.
- Reading book
- Notepad
- Spare Long Johns
- Some of the maps
- Small food and liquid containers

Underused but useful when needed
- Trangia and fuel bottle
- Bivvy/Sleeping bag/Inner sheet/Exped mat
- Headlight
- Heavyweight merino top

The faultless Thorn Sherpa at tour end, and at the finish of a 168km day ride with substantial ascents. The load is a bit lighter than it was at ride start, with a few unneeded items sent home.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0