Vézelay to Auxerre: Team Spirit - Burgundy Buzz - CycleBlaze

May 27, 2022

Vézelay to Auxerre: Team Spirit

Today Rachael saw to it that I was able to upload Scott's route onto my phone before awe left Vézelay. In spite of the chilling wind and grey sky it was again a great ride. We stayed together to about the halfway point, where Janos and I stopped to eat our sandwiches and Scott and Rachael sped ahead, hoping that Scott could get to the bicycle shop in time for some needed repairs.

Before we sailed down the hill that we had so arduourously climbed the day before, we visited the Basilica of Sainte Marie Madeleine and took a short walk through the streets where I couldn't resist getting more door shots for my collection.

The Benedictine abbey church, with its complex program of imagery in sculpted capitals and portals, is one of the great masterpieces of Romanesque art and architecturein Burgundy.

Image not found :(
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 7 Comment 0

The first half of the ride was again through spectacular hilly countryside with wonderful views. Then followed a pleasant stretch along the canal with easier riding.

Lots of pictures of Team Anderson on our last day together

Heart 5 Comment 0
Heart 5 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 5 Comment 0
We stop for lunch.
Heart 6 Comment 0
Heart 7 Comment 0
Is it a gaggle, a bevy or a wedge of swans? I just learned that whiteness is also a collective noun for swans. A whitenes of swans seems perfect.
Heart 4 Comment 3
Lednar De NallohNot here, the swans are black.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Kathleen JonesAccording to one source I found on the internet, you’re right on all of them.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Suzanne GibsonTo Kathleen JonesWe must have used the same source. :)
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Heart 3 Comment 0
Approaching Auxerre
Heart 3 Comment 0

We got to our hotel in Auxerre around two. Not only Scott was looking for a bicycle shop, Janos also discovered his bike was in need of repairs. Both of his pedals looked like they were about to fall off. We quickly carried our bags to our room, googled a bike shop and were off. The bike shop was close by, later we found out it was the same one that Scott had found and we were also lucky that they could take care of the problem. No wait, two new pedals and no charge for mounting them made for two very happy cyclists.

The four of us strolled through the streets of Auxerre to an Italian restaurant for our last dinner together in Burgundy, celebrating the end of our week together. Looking ahead we see new opportunities on the horizon when we can meet up again. Differences in age, cycling ability and language presented no obstacles to a wonderful week. Summing it up, we all agreed the experiment was a great success. Hip hip hooray to Susan, the Andersons and Janos. Many thanks to all!

Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 54 km (34 miles)
Total: 331 km (206 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 9
Comment on this entry Comment 7
Emily SharpYou seem to be having a very wonderful ride. Glad that all the logistics have worked well. And I like your spirit just going for it in the rain. As always, I love your photos, each one demanding to be on a postcard or the front of a jigsaw puzzle box.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Lednar De NallohWow..I want to cycle in Burgundy
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Gregory GarceauType your comment here
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Suzanne GibsonTo Gregory GarceauWas there a comment, Greg? The comment space e is empty
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Gregory GarceauTo Suzanne GibsonI don't know what happened there. I was looking at the comments that other people wrote and the next thing I knew, I had left a comment without a comment in it. I must have accidently hit the "post reply" button, and of course, once a comment is posted, it can't be deleted.

Anyway, if I were to have commented, it would probably have been to compliment you on your fine pictures. I really liked the one of Rocky staring at your bike in an I-should-get-one-of-those-kind-of-way. The whiteness of swans was cool too. I wonder if a group of seagulls could also be called a whiteness.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Bob DistelbergSusanne, it was great fun following along on your shared travels with Scott, Rachael and Susan. I’ve only met the Andersons in person, but somehow I knew you would all be compatible travel companions.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Suzanne GibsonTo Bob DistelbergThanks for following along, Bob! Glad you enjoyed it.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago