Auxerre to Tonnerre: Then there were only two - Burgundy Buzz - CycleBlaze

May 28, 2022

Auxerre to Tonnerre: Then there were only two

We met again for breakfast and a final good-bye hug. Bonne route and say hello to Susan when you get to Paris! 

I might have forgotten to mention that our tour wasn't over just because we were no longer riding with the Andersons. We had planned four more days on our way back to Dijon and picking up our car. Will it still be there?

The recommended bicycle route out of Auxerre was a potholed dirt path along the railroad tracks which fortunately came to an end soon. After a climb or two we were traveling along quiet and flat country roads.

All we saw of Auxerre, almost
Heart 6 Comment 1
Image not found :(
In a bed of roses
Heart 8 Comment 2
Rachael AndersonBeautiful and color coordinated!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Suzanne GibsonGotta love those roses all over!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
A bumpy start, avoiding busy roads
Heart 4 Comment 0
Rural
Heart 6 Comment 1
Karen PoretRural, but an “urban” street light ;)
Reply to this comment
9 months ago
Ripening fields of grain
Heart 3 Comment 1
Scott AndersonShow off. I wish I had a kickstand!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Golden grain and a poppy
Heart 10 Comment 0
Now for some black cows
Heart 1 Comment 0
A beautiful sky, but the wind was chilling. I had to layer up to keep warm in spite of the sun.
Heart 5 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltSkies/clouds are always fun to look at. :)
Reply to this comment
1 year ago

The highlight of the day was our visit to the Abbey of Pontigny, the anchor around which today's route was planned.

The Abbey of Pontigny was founded in 1114. It was the largest Cistercian church in Europe, and gave birth to some forty foundations in France, Italy, Hungary and Romania. The abbey estate was managed by monks for centuries. The church is entered through a porch whose simple lines anticipate the architectural purity of the light-filled nave. The white stone, the grisaille windows, the cruciform pillars and the near-abstract capitals all express an aesthetic of austerity. The nave is an example of the earliest Gothic style in Burgundy, while the apse displays its full maturity.

Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 8 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 1
Gregory GarceauAncient. Almost haunting. For sure, hallowed.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Before we reached the Canal de Bourgogne which we would follow for the last 15 kilometers of the day, we made a slight detour to find a bench for our picnic break. 

Just the two of us
Heart 12 Comment 3
Karen PoretTo Susan Carpenter
Agreed with Rachael and Susan!
Reply to this comment
9 months ago
A tree lined lane leads us to the canal
Heart 7 Comment 0
Canal de Bourgogne bicycle stand
Heart 6 Comment 0
It was easy going but we had a cold, cold wind.
Heart 3 Comment 0
An old wash house / lavoir
Heart 4 Comment 1
Scott AndersonBeautiful. I’ve never seen one that looks like this.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago

Tonnerre came as a surprise to us. Although we had been here 14 years ago, we had no recollection of how run down the town was. Many buildings were boarded up or in a state or disrepair. Was it so different 14 years ago?

The Cafe des Glaces is open four hours once a week. It looks like it has seen better times.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Cafe des Glaces was quite elegant back in the day.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The door is not weathered, it is charred.
Heart 6 Comment 0
Tonnerre
Heart 1 Comment 0

A main attraction in Tonnerre is  the Fosse Dionne, a water source in the centre of the old town. In the Middle Ages there were several legends surrounding the continual supply of water arising from the subterranean karst. In 1758 a circular wash house or "lavoir" was erected at the source. The unusual blue-green color of the water is the result of the high density of limestone in the water.

Heart 10 Comment 2
Keith AdamsIt was a very hot June day in 2005 when we were there. My wife snapped a photo of me cooling my feet in the outflow from the pool. I still remember how refreshing it was!

Our hotel was outside the town, probably due to our needs as part of a group of about 44 people (22 couples on tandems) so I don't really recall the town vividly but Tonnerre even then seemed past its prime; a small and generally unremarkable place in an eddy of time and largely bypassed in modern times.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Suzanne Gibson"bypassed in modern times" - that sums it up.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago

We arrived in Tonnerre around two or so and were happy to discover that we could check in to our hotel immdiately and not at five as we had been informed. The Hotel du Centre also had a perfect bicycle storage room. 

Chers Cyclistes, l'Hotel du Centre est ravi de vous acceullir! Dear Cyclists, the Hotel du Centre is delighted to host you. And a selfie.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 54 km (34 miles)
Total: 385 km (239 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 10
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Rachael AndersonLooks like a great ride!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Suzanne GibsonTo Rachael AndersonSeems like you couldn't go wrong in Burgundy. It was all so beautiful.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago