A Little Tennis Action at Indian Wells - Poking Around South of the Border - CycleBlaze

March 7, 2022

A Little Tennis Action at Indian Wells

Clear Plastic Bags Anyone?

There is no shortage of things to do here. Today we rode our bikes to the BNP Paribas Open to see world class tennis in a world class facility.   Larry Ellison (the tenth wealthiest person in the world, according to Wikipedia) bought the 54 acre tennis garden and the tournament in 2009. The tournament is the largest combined men’s and women’s tennis tournament in the world. 

This image came from Wikipedia. We didn’t have a drone with us.
Heart 2 Comment 0

The only way to go to the tennis is by bike in our opinion, particularly from the looks of the massive parking lot (not to mention the $25 to park)!  It has been a running joke this trip that that is $25 US folks!  We were pleasantly surprised at the number of bikes there.  A few more bike racks would have been nice, but we found a spot and people were being creative with benches and other structures. 

We hadn’t read the memo. Only clear plastic bags were allowed in the facility. So without searching our bike bags, the guy at the gate simply stuffed our bike bags in lovely clear plastic bags. Seemed goofy, but it worked. It also explained the couple we saw biking to the facility with clear plastic backpacks. I thought they were weird, but suddenly realized that couple had done their research.  Where one actually buys a clear plastic backpack is a mystery to me though. 

The first couple of days entry to tennis is free.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We got a tremendous kick out of watching the ball boys and girls as well as the tennis.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Watching any sport at this level is breathtaking. It also felt great to wheel out of the tennis garden and not have to deal with any of the traffic issues. After a short ride down an incredibly wide road, we jumped on our swoopy sidewalk, then through neighbourhoods and were at the pool in no time. 

Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 31 km (19 miles)
Total: 116 km (72 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 8
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Steve Miller/GrampiesThat clear bags story is so weird!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Suzanne GibsonClear bags - good that they are so conscientous about enorcing the regulations. I had a good laugh.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago