The Journey Home - Poking Around South of the Border - CycleBlaze

March 29, 2022 to April 1, 2022

The Journey Home

We loaded the bikes on the rack and set off for home on the 29th. It was a warm sunny day in Healdsburg, and became considerably cooler the further north we drove. We spent the first night in  tiny but charming Gold Beach on the Oregon Coast, then Cannon Beach and finally on to Port Angeles.  The Oregon Coast did not disappoint. 



Image not found :(
Heart 3 Comment 0
Image not found :(
Heart 2 Comment 0
Image not found :(
Heart 3 Comment 0
Image not found :(
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 1
Rich FrasierAh! Haystack Rock! I love it there…
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Heart 3 Comment 0

Ten days earlier, in Paso, I decided to reserve our travel home via the Black Ball Coho Ferry, which goes between Port Angeles on the Olympic Peninsula and downtown Victoria. At this time of year, it only crosses the strait twice a day, 8:20 AM and 2 PM. Reservations are essential. We had met a lovely couple at the pool that night from BC who mentioned they, like ourselves, had decided to delay their arrival in Canada until April 1, the day the Covid testing requirements to cross the border were lifted. It got me thinking there might be many people planning the same thing. I meant to make the reservation that evening, but forgot until breakfast. I was crushed to discover the ship was fully booked through April 4. The smart people had obviously made their reservations the day the Canadian government made the announcement. We were so disappointed. Me especially. 

At traffic light controlled roadwork sites they had this. Nice!
Heart 0 Comment 0

But then on our final travel day we had one incredible stroke of good luck on the American side. I had resigned myself to Peace Arch border crossing and BC Ferries, both of which would have meant long lineups, but I wasn’t willing to risk the Coho ferry without a reservation. It is a small ship. I was driving on the Olympic Peninsula and Keith was trying to talk me into taking a chance on the Coho, which would add two hours of driving time if we missed the ferry. I wasn’t buying it. We compromised by agreeing before we made any decision he would call Black Ball Ferries and find out how much standby space they set aside (20 to 25% we found out the next day).  He opened the website for the phone number and what should pop up?  A reservation available April 1 at 8:20 AM!  We grabbed it. Someone had cancelled and our timing was brilliant. 

Hallelujah!
Heart 2 Comment 0

We spent the night in Port Angeles, were up at the ungodly hour of 6:10 AM (we are not wide awake at that time) and were in line at 7. You have to arrive an hour before the sailing. It was an uneventful crossing and when we arrived in downtown Victoria we were the THIRD car off the ferry. People dependent on ferry travel know how significant that is!  There were four open customs booths, we were first at ours and were cleared and rolling past the Legislature before 10 AM. We felt like we had won the ferry lottery. 

We had a long chat with the owners of these bikes who were coming over for a few days of touring on the island.
Heart 1 Comment 0
We passed this giant container ship.
Heart 0 Comment 0

It has been windy, raining, hailing and briefly, momentarily, sunny (sometimes all four in the space of ten minutes) since we arrived home. Monday the 4th was a particularly bizarre day. Mother Nature was in a mood and there were sustained winds, rain and hail. I kept thinking of the touring couple we met on the ferry. 

Our bikes are waiting for their first ride in their usual haunt. It should be soon. We are missing the warmth, but it is nice to be home.

And an edit today, April 7, for the record, yesterday we had mostly sunshine and blue skies. I hiked, Keith biked and then golfed 👍. Spring is springing!  Time to start planning some real tours, both short and long. We are ready!

Back to hiking in the usual environment. Note one of my hiking companions looking at me adoringly. I do love her but suspect she is mostly interested in the treats in my pocket.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 7
Comment on this entry Comment 3
Rachael AndersonGlad you made it back safely but I’ll miss reading your journal. Hope you plan another trip soon!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Tricia GrahamEnjoyed this and hopeI will soon be reading one of you European wanderings
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Keith ClassenTo Tricia GrahamThanks Tricia - glad you enjoyed it. We are thinking about another European trip but not sure when that will happen with all that’s going on. We are also thinking about another visit to New Zealand as a possible break from our wet winter weather next year. We shall see. And what about you and Ken …. any plans?
Reply to this comment
2 years ago