Russian River Valley - Poking Around South of the Border - CycleBlaze

March 28, 2022

Russian River Valley

Riding south today

Keith on the journal again today. There was a fair amount of rain overnight which is a good thing considering the long drought here in California.   The forecast today had changed from rain in the morning to rain in the afternoon.   So it was best  to change our plans to a morning ride. The idea was to see if we could get out the door a bit earlier today.   I noticed a coffee shop around the corner so we skipped that leisurely breakfast and grabbed something at the coffee shop this morning.

Good quality baked goods at The Plank coffee shop. A bit pricey, those cookies behind the glass look great but are $5.25 (that’s US dollars of course). However, the bacon and egg bagel sandwich was the best I have ever had.
Heart 0 Comment 2
Steve Miller/GrampiesYou need to try one of Steve's world famous "egg mcbagels". Next time we're all on the Island at the same time....?.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Keith ClassenI will look forward to that!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago

We did manage to get out the door about 10:15 in cloudy and cool conditions.  It was dry though, and good riding conditions. There was no shortage of wineries to check out if you are into that sort of thing. 

Here are a few to get us started.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We discovered a bike path yesterday which leads us directly to downtown Healdsburg, about 2 km from our hotel.
Heart 1 Comment 0
A little deferred maintenance on this structure.
Heart 4 Comment 1
Scott AndersonBeautiful image.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Image not found :(
Heart 1 Comment 0
Image not found :(
Quiet roadway with respectful drivers.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Image not found :(
The Russian River Valley. Note those skies! We stayed dry though.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Image not found :(
This memorial is for an 18 year old male involved in a crash a few days earlier following a high speed police chase. The driver was reported to be traveling over 130 MPH on Highway 101 before turning off onto the quiet side road and missing the curve. Senseless, tragic and so sad. At least he didn’t take anyone with him.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Image not found :(
Heart 4 Comment 0
Image not found :(
Landmark Vineyards with an impressive structure.
Heart 2 Comment 0
There were about ten turkey vultures hanging around doing what turkey vultures do.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Old farm equipment.
Heart 3 Comment 0

The original loop planned was around 45 km but we were able extend that by another 10 km, five of which put us onto a busier road.    There was ample shoulder but were happy to bail back to original route.

The Redford Inn looked like an interesting place to spend a night or two. There were lots of wineries nearby.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0

At about  the 40 km mark the Riverfront Regional Park appeared and was a perfect spot to stop for lunch.  They had a feature we had never seen before. It was a selfie station. There was a metal box on a pole you placed your phone in, set the timer and…

Well we had to try it, didn’t we? It worked a charm.
Heart 4 Comment 2
Scott AndersonNice timing too, capturing that giant wasplike critter.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Keith ClassenGood eye - I hadn’t noticed that!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Our lunch view.
Heart 2 Comment 0
More of those threatening skies.
Heart 3 Comment 0

Approximately 1 kilometre from downtown I had flat at a rather good place for a flat.  There was lots of room to get off the road and assess the situation.  I pumped the tire up hoping it was a slow leak and we rode to the local bike shop which was in our initial plan anyway and less than a km away.  After a browsing in the shop I decided a  DIY repair was in order…it has been two years since my last flat and keeping those skills sharp is important. Kathleen thought I was crazy. I pumped the tire up again and we made our way the short distance back  to our hotel.   I replaced the tube in the evening.  An inspection of the tire revealed no obvious cause of the flat.  Upon pumping up the tire after replacing the tube I had one last look to see what might have been the problem.  I discovered a sharp piece of glass totally embedded in the tire not obvious visually or by feel. I used dentist like skills to detect and extract the culprit.   This is only my second flat with this set of Schwalbe Marathon tires and I estimate I have close to 10000 km on them. It is time to replace though.

For a short video of the ride click the following link.

https://www.relive.cc/view/vXOnZwK81BO

Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 54 km (34 miles)
Total: 588 km (365 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 5
Comment on this entry Comment 1