Day 3: Benediktbeuern - Home - Some like it hot: two nights in a monastery - CycleBlaze

August 19, 2023

Day 3: Benediktbeuern - Home

We considered three different routes for returning home, all about the same length. We could take the same route back that we took coming. That didn't appeal to me. I needed new things to take pictures of.

The prettiest route we mapped out would involve an 18% climb. We thought maybe not today when the temperatures were going to reach 31C. 

The third option was to follow the east side of Lake Starnberg. We both said "boring" and it's Saturday and sure to be crowded. But it was also the least demanding route and we chose it. It was a good choice. There were plenty of cyclists out, but not too many. We could easily ride our pace. And it was shady and cool along the lake, certainly several degrees cooler than on the open road.

Riding through Bichl, we passed this farmhouse and amazing garden.
Heart 9 Comment 0
The yard was overflowing with flowers.
Heart 8 Comment 0
The dung heap provides the best soil for tomatoes. Traditional farm houses and barns are attached, as you see here.
Heart 4 Comment 0
The pumpkin patch is flourishing.
Heart 3 Comment 0
The zucchinis are doing well here, too.
Heart 4 Comment 0
A farming village
Heart 5 Comment 0
Further down the road
Heart 4 Comment 0
Lake Starnberg
Heart 5 Comment 0
We find a bench behind the boat houses for our break.
Heart 5 Comment 4
Kathleen JonesThe drone pilot at rest.
Reply to this comment
8 months ago
Karen PoretAnd, perhaps he felt “cooled down” by the ice hockey skate above his head? ;)
Reply to this comment
6 months ago
Suzanne GibsonTo Karen PoretVery observant! I never noticed it.
Reply to this comment
6 months ago
Karen PoretTo Suzanne GibsonOf course you didn’t see it..you are focused on your sweetie, Janos..:)
Take good care of each other!
Reply to this comment
6 months ago
View across the lake - the water is cristall clear.
Heart 5 Comment 1
Karen PoretSo refreshing!
Reply to this comment
6 months ago
Getting closer to Starnberg the beach is crowded, everyone enjoying a summer's day.
Heart 4 Comment 0

It was a pleasant ride home and we were very appreciative of the cool rooms in our apartment when we got back. 

We were very pleased with out little three-day tour. We will also be content to stay home during the coming heat wave. Same as almost all homes in Germany, we don't have air conditioning. It only gets really hot a few days in the summer and even then our apartment stays cool.

Thanks for following along - and happy cycling wherever you are!

Heart 2 Comment 2
Patrick O'HaraA lovely little tour and journal. Must be nice to have the lakes so close to where you live!
Reply to this comment
8 months ago
Suzanne GibsonTo Patrick O'HaraThank you! Yes, the lakes are lovely.
Reply to this comment
8 months ago

Today's ride: 52 km (32 miles)
Total: 135 km (84 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 9
Comment on this entry Comment 10
Steve Miller/GrampiesWe enjoyed following your pretty mini tour. We also are in a heat wave here. A fan at the end of the bed, turned off in the morning, and a fan in the livingroom/kitçhen during the day seems to keep us reasonably comfortable. We have no airconditioner either. Hope all goes well with Janos' mefical thing and you can be back on your bikes again soon.
Reply to this comment
8 months ago
Kathleen JonesWhat a lovely little tour. Thanks, and good luck to you and Janos.
Reply to this comment
8 months ago
Gregory GarceauNo air-conditioning in our house either. Our neighbors can't believe it. Generally, we can withstand outdoor temperatures in the 90-degree range for a few days. I like it more than the Feeshko. At night, she does a great job by keeping the blinds closed, opening the windows at night and closing them in the morning, and running fans to keep the house in the 80-degree range.

Anyway, I enjoyed reading about your entire tour all in one day.
Reply to this comment
8 months ago
Mark BinghamWhat beautiful trip. Thanks for sharing.
Reply to this comment
8 months ago
Nancy GrahamAhhhhh, perfect little three day tour. Beautiful places you have to ride in where you are. Thank you again for all the great photos and for taking us with you on the journey. Best to you and Janos and will look forward to any journal you post ;’-).
Reply to this comment
8 months ago
Suzanne GibsonTo Kathleen JonesThanks for following along, Kathleen!
Reply to this comment
8 months ago
Suzanne GibsonTo Gregory GarceauThat's the way they do it in southern European countries, too. Let in the cool air at night and close the shutters tight when it gets hot. I do that, too, when it heats up here and usually the inside temps never go above 26C. Feels better than AC.
Thanks for reading!
Reply to this comment
8 months ago
Suzanne GibsonTo Mark BinghamThanks, Mark, glad you enjoyed it.
Reply to this comment
8 months ago
Suzanne GibsonTo Nancy GrahamI'll be posting again for sure, Nancy. Thanks for your good wishes.
Reply to this comment
8 months ago
Karen PoretTo Nancy GrahamIn agreement with you on all comments, Nancy!
Reply to this comment
6 months ago