Why so hot? Why so short? - Some like it hot: two nights in a monastery - CycleBlaze

Why so hot? Why so short?

If you prefer cycling in Europe, you  realize what a privilege it is to live here. No need to book flights far in advance, flights that are more often than not pure stress, and then tour three months to make it all worthwhile.  Europe is compact and we are pleased that we can do so much so close to home. This time around it will be a simple three-day ride and we will set out from the front door.

We have planned this trip on short notice and the only dates with available lodging were at the end of next week ...when the height of a heat wave is expected! Predicted temps are 30C, 32C, 33C. As I write this I must ask myself, are we crazy? Yes, but not totally. We will ride in the morning and arrive around noon on the first day, the second day we will get out early for a loop and return to our lodging before we melt, and the third day is the ride home which we can also manage before the sun reaches its zenith.

We are going to Benediktbeuern, only 50 km away. We have done a variation of this route before but stayed in nearby Heilbrunn. This time I was able to book rooms in the Benediktbeuern Abbey itself.  The Meierhof, the old abbey's "steward's house" has been restored with conference rooms and accommodations for guests.  

Hopefully in this monastic setting, the beds will not be too ascetic.

From when we were here in March 2022
Heart 6 Comment 0

Why so short a tour? Without going into detail - it's a health issue and an upcoming therapy for Janos starting at the end of August will ground us for a couple of months. When we have that behind us, we have bigger plans, a longer tour and when it isn't so hot.

Rate this entry's writing Heart 16
Comment on this entry Comment 15
Steve Miller/GrampiesHow right you are that you are so lucky to be living in Europe! We often dread the flights to and from, and find a three month tour is very expensive and also that we return to an exhausting time at home trying to rehabilitate our place from long neglect. Still, a European tour is such a delight. We hope that Janos medical issue has a satisfactory result and we look forward to your upcoming short jaunt.
Reply to this comment
9 months ago
Suzanne GibsonTo Steve Miller/GrampiesTo
Thanks for the good wishes, Dodie and Steve!
Reply to this comment
9 months ago
Rachael AndersonWhat a great choice for a mini tour! It really does help that you can get out early for the ride. I look forward to following your trip.
Reply to this comment
9 months ago
Suzanne GibsonThanks, Rachael! I hope morning rides will make it bearable. 33 C is awfully hot! But it worked very well last summer in Burgundy.
Reply to this comment
9 months ago
Robyn RichardsIt's an ideal situation to be able to ride from home and return at the end! Best wishes for the tour.
Reply to this comment
9 months ago
Suzanne GibsonThanks, Robyn!
Reply to this comment
9 months ago
Scott AndersonThis looks like such a remarkable place to stay for a couple of nights. At first I wondered if this was Fürstenfeld, which isn’t that far from you either.

Will the drone be making the tour also?
Reply to this comment
9 months ago
Nancy GrahamI know ou will have, once again, a marvelous trip. It may be short, but it sure sounds beautiful. And to leave from and return to your home is such an advantage. I look forward to your trip just about as much as you do.
Reply to this comment
9 months ago
Suzanne GibsonTo Rachael AndersonIn my reply to you I said last year in Burgundy. You must have wondered what I was talking about. I meant Alsace!
Reply to this comment
9 months ago
Suzanne GibsonTo Scott AndersonIt's a little further than Fürstenfeld and probably a prettier ride. Yes, the drone is coming, too.
Reply to this comment
9 months ago
Suzanne GibsonTo Nancy GrahamSo glad to have you following along, Nancy!
Reply to this comment
9 months ago
Mark BinghamReally looking forward to following along!
Reply to this comment
9 months ago
Suzanne GibsonTo Mark BinghamThanks, Mark!
Reply to this comment
9 months ago
Bob DistelbergOh, I really like the concept of a three day tour that's one day out, second day loop, third day back home. I'm going to have to scout out some possibilities for just such a trip from my home.
Reply to this comment
8 months ago
Suzanne GibsonTo Bob DistelbergYou must try it. So simple and yet gets you completely out of daily routine.
Reply to this comment
8 months ago