Day 2: Benediktbeuern - Glentleiten - Benediktbeuern - Some like it hot: two nights in a monastery - CycleBlaze

August 18, 2023

Day 2: Benediktbeuern - Glentleiten - Benediktbeuern

Blue skies and sunny - as we knew it would be. The original plan to get out early while the day was still cool changed. We decided to stay in our room a little longer while the room was still cool. Actually, it didn't cool down much in the night. When we crossed the courtyard in the morning to the breakfast room, we were surprised how chilly the morning air was. We spent some time with our pictures and journal and left at about 10:30, and the air outside still felt delightful.

Today's loop had Glentleiten and the Kreuter Alm as our destination. Glentleiten is an open air museum that we had visited by car years ago and remembered it as being in a lovely setting. The Kreuter Alm is a rustic little beer garden with a wonderful view to the mountains that would be perfect for lunch.

The beginning of our ride takes us through village streets.
Heart 8 Comment 1
Karen PoretHe looks so happy!..even on cobbles! ;)
Reply to this comment
6 months ago
All day we have the mountains in view.
Heart 6 Comment 0
Peaceful
Heart 6 Comment 0
Heart 6 Comment 0
Janos getting ready to fly his drone for a video for us
Heart 6 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 6 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Our path as it follows the Loisach
Heart 5 Comment 0
We cross the Loisach several times.
Heart 9 Comment 1
Karen PoretSimply beautiful !
Reply to this comment
6 months ago
Heuschober - hay barn no longer in use
Heart 7 Comment 0
Another one in ruins
Heart 2 Comment 0

After a meander through the fields approaching Kochel and Kochelsee, our route to Glentleiten was up. It was a short and steep climb. For a moment we considered not going up at all, what for? Just to come down again? But we did cycle up and it was a good change from the otherwise flat ride.  Too bad, the Kreuter Alm that we had been looking forward to was closed. 

On the way down we peered over the fence of the open air museum. We didn't feel like going in to the museum itself and walking around in the strong sun.
Heart 5 Comment 0
View on the way down
Heart 6 Comment 0
Another
Heart 3 Comment 0

We zipped down the mountain and had what we thought would be a quick ride back through the Loisach-Kochelsee-Moor,"an extensive, open moor landscape along the river Loisach in the Bavarian Alpine foothills... habitat for a variety of bird species." I'm not a birder so the charm of this very bumpy and muddy path was lost on me.

It got worse.
Heart 3 Comment 0
The only bird I saw. I wonder what a gull was doing there... I wasn't able to get a shot of his legs to help identify what kind of gull it is. It is a gull, isn't it?
Heart 3 Comment 0

In spite of the closed beer garden that we cycled up the mountain for and the bumpy path at the end, it was an excellent ride. When we got back to our room, it wasn't quite as suffocating as yesterday since I had drawn the curtains and closed the window to keep the heat out. Or maybe we are just getting acclimated.

Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 31 km (19 miles)
Total: 83 km (52 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 11
Comment on this entry Comment 6
Bob DistelbergI loved yesterday's and today's drone videos. Tell Janos thank you for sharing! Looks like beautiful countryside.
Reply to this comment
8 months ago
Tricia Grahamwhat a beautiful place you live in
Reply to this comment
8 months ago
Suzanne GibsonTo Bob DistelbergJanos says thank you! He had fun making them.
Reply to this comment
8 months ago
Suzanne GibsonTo Tricia GrahamWe love Bavaria!
Reply to this comment
8 months ago
Janos KerteszTo Bob DistelbergDanke, Bob!
Reply to this comment
8 months ago
Karen PoretTo Janos KerteszAgreed! Many dank !
Reply to this comment
6 months ago