Fulda - Bad Hersfeld: We stay in a youth hostel - From Bavaria to the Baltic Sea and Back - CycleBlaze

May 23, 2011

Fulda - Bad Hersfeld: We stay in a youth hostel

Before we left Fulda, we visited its baroque cathedral and the old part of town. Under the bright sun the old stones seemed to come to life. This would have been a good place to take a break. We had been on the road for seven days and it was time for a rest day. But we were so close to Kassel where we would be staying with old friends that we decided to keep going and rest up when we got there. With hindsight comes insight: I needed a break. I was saddle sore and tired. Fulda would have been the place to spend another day.

Fulda's cathedral
Heart 3 Comment 0
Another view of Fulda's cathedral
Heart 0 Comment 0
Finely carved pews in the interior of the cathedral
Heart 1 Comment 0
Steps leading to the cathedral square
Heart 2 Comment 0
Bronze statue of St. Bonifatius with a cross and the bible
Heart 0 Comment 0
Fulda's picturesque old town
Heart 0 Comment 0
House front with figure of Mary
Heart 0 Comment 0

In spite of being a bit saddle weary, it didn't dampen my enthusiasm for the beauty of the Fulda Valley. The bike path was excellent, the scenery breathtaking, and the weather did the rest to make the ride ideal.

The R1 is a well marked bicycle route that we followed through the Fulda Valley.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Lone poppy
Heart 1 Comment 0
Lovely views from our bike path
Heart 2 Comment 0
Along the R1
Heart 1 Comment 0

Around noon we noticed that there weren't going to be any towns on our path where we could eat so we made a detour to Schlitz. There we found a bakery that sold sandwiches, coffee and cold drinks in addition to bread and pastries - just the thing. While we were in Schlitz we rode up the hill to have a look at the old town with its beautiful half-timbered houses. It was a steep and bumpy climb on cobblestone streets.

On the way to Schlitz
Heart 1 Comment 0
Old town in Schlitz
Heart 1 Comment 0
Schlitz
Heart 3 Comment 0

Since we have been touring on e-bikes, we have had more conversations with other cyclists than on any other trip. Cyclists young and old are interested in our bikes. There seems to be an e-bike-boom now, everyone has heard of them and many have taken trial rides at a bike shop. Their unanimous opinion is 'e-bikes are fun'! When talkling to locals, we took advantage of the opportunity to gather information on the area we were in. Before we reached Bad Hersfeld we were told that the youth hostel would be the best place to stay, everything else would be fairly expensive since Bad Hersfeld is a spa town.

The youth hostel was easy to find, not even on the top of a hill. A stately old building had been beautifully renovated to accomodate the youth hostel. It wasn't cheap for a youth hostel, 60 € with breakfast, but we did have a double room and our own bathroom. But in true youth hostel style, you had to make your own beds. The rooms were clean but there was a military feeling about it all - no frills. They put us on the fourth floor (no lift) so the noise of the school children down below wouldn't disturb us. Once we had climbed the stairs with our bags, we were glad to be up there.

Entry to the youth hostel in Bad Hersfeld
Heart 1 Comment 0
Architecture combining the old and the new
Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 59 km (37 miles)
Total: 491 km (305 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0