Obersinn - Fulda: We cross the Rhon - From Bavaria to the Baltic Sea and Back - CycleBlaze

May 22, 2011

Obersinn - Fulda: We cross the Rhon

The morning was cool and the woods we rode through still dripping from the rain during the night. We cycled on in the beautiful Sinn Valley to Altengronau where we had to make a decision.

We leave Obersinn on a dirt path next to the river.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The morning air was cool and envigorating.
Heart 3 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltNice pic in the black & white :)
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
The lovely Sinn Valley
Heart 1 Comment 0
Railroad bridge over the Sinn
Heart 2 Comment 0

At home we had planned our route from Obersinn to Fulda and we had the GPS track on our Garmins. However, we now had strong doubts that it was the best way to cross the Rhön, a mountain range between the Sinn and the Fulda rivers. We stopped to ponder how to procede on small roads that wouldn't be too steep. As we studied our maps, we were approached by a friendly cyclist who was interested in our e-bikes. Since he was familiar with the area, he could also give us valuable information on the road ahead. The route we had planned at home wasn't ideal. Our helpful acquaintance recommended we approach the Fulda valley via Sterbfritz and Schlüchtern, and warned us part of the way would be closed due to a construction site but would be okay for cyclists.

As soon as we left Altengronau, we started to climb. We shifted down and cycled slowly but surely up the first steep hill, feeling strong with the e-support. Then came the turn-off at Sterbfritz that was closed to regular traffic. All the better for us - we had the road to ourselves and the construction site was no problem. We climbed some more.

Our climb is through beautiful countryside.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
The construction site didn't stop us.
Heart 1 Comment 0

When we reached the top we had a beautiful view - nothing like a climb and then a panorama spread out before you to remind you that you love riding your bike. Not to mention the fantastic high you get flying down the mountain.

And now for the descent
Heart 2 Comment 0

We ate lunch in Schlüchtern and in the heat of the early afternoon faced the final climb of the day. We had a bike lane, but it was steep and it was long and next to a busy road. This climb was a tedious one and for a while I forgot I loved riding my bike. We reached the top and coasted down. We thought we were finished with climbing for the day but minor ups and downs kept coming until we reached the Fulda River where the terrain finally flattened.

Heart 2 Comment 0

Fulda is a pretty town but we were tired. We found a room, rested and ate. That was it for the day. We stayed at the Hotel Alt Elsass for 69 €€ including breakfast.

Our hotel, Alt Elsass
Heart 2 Comment 0

Today's ride: 57 km (35 miles)
Total: 432 km (268 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0