Fighting It Out with Mother Nature - All Roads Lead to Italy - CycleBlaze

September 12, 2017

Fighting It Out with Mother Nature

 It feels like our focus has been a bit obsessive regarding the weather since we have been in Italy. We check the forecast every day, try to plan, and then we proceed, with whatever the weather brings. We can't recall a time when we have had to limit our riding as much as we have here.
We are reminded as we pass through areas of flooding and widespread damage, that sure it is a pain in the neck for us....an inconvenience.  But  we can appreciate that for the local residents, their concern is more significant as there has been flooding and damage.
Today promises to be a very difficult day to cycle very far. It is raining very hard and the wind is fierce. We asked our host at Casa Carozza if we could wait it out for a break in the storm before we leave and she responded with a typical easy going reaction - "stay as long as you like, use your room, leave this afternoon or evening - as you like".  
We left about noon and as we thought, didn't get very far. When we reached Palmanova, we had had enough of riding through flooded paths and roads. Plus the rain was pelting down so hard with a heavy wind . We were wet through and found the family run Hotel Roma. We madeAn Egyptian goose posing for us. a mess of their entryway, but they were very welcoming. 

We woke to very heavy rain, thunder and lightning. The owner of the guesthouse said that we could stay as late as we needed to. At noon there was a break in the weather and we headed out.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We had a charming room with a big balcony overlooking the countryside at Casa Corazza. We found out that this farmhouse, dating from 1800, was completely restored in the 1990's by a German couple. All of the beautiful furnishings are from Germany.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Beautiful old beams which have been reinforced with steel beams during the renovation. The present owner is an Italian woman who owns the restaurant across the road as well.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Julia works at the Casa, helping with breakfast and cleaning. Her English skills were invaluable and her personality made us feel so welcome. As well, we found out that she lives in Monfalcone, a city where we stayed a few days ago.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Casa is the 2 storey stone building in the background. Now that we know that the previous owner was German (and from Bayreuth in Germany), we understand the reason why the yellow sign is at the gate.
Heart 0 Comment 0
An Egyptian goose posing for us.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Getting to Palmanova was a challenge due to the flooding and muddy conditions. Whenever we could, we took to the road. Here we had no choice. We (and the locals) would like to see a few dry days as there is a serious threat of flooding. We have read about flooding in areas south of here where we have been.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We are approaching Palmanova's fortified wall. We would liked to have ridden further today, but it is so cold and the rain is crazy with a driving wind.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our valiant Dutch trailer took quite a beating today - through mud, high water and it stayed with us, keeping our belongings dry. We will need some time to get it dry and ready for tomorrow.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Palmanova is a unique and beautiful medieval town, and we are glad to be here, out of the elements. There are a few hotels in this village and we hope to get a room. Taking shelter at the main square.
Heart 0 Comment 0
As you can see, all sensible Italians and fellow travellers are safely inside. Palmanova is deserted. We hope to join them inside soon. The weather forecast is for the weather to get worse for the rest of the day. We are definitely stopping.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Italian flag flying proudly in the wind. It is an incongruous sight to see a tropical palm flourishingin such cold, inclement weather.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Palmanova is known for its distincitive octagonal shaped square and the star shaped fortified perimeter. Eight roads lead out of the "square" like spokes on a wheel. The small building in front of the church is a free lending library.
Heart 0 Comment 0
An aerial view of the wonderful Palmanova. We are glad that the weather forced us to stop and appreciate this unique gem.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This sweet dog really wanted to visit. It would get excited and "dance" on his hind legs clamouring for affection.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Elementary school in Palmanova. It seems that Barry, a retired primary teacher of 35 years continues to be drawn to schools.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The free lending library in the square in Palmanova.
Heart 1 Comment 0
A booktore in Palmanova. We have been trying in vain since Trieste to find a map or guidebook that includes Austria and the area we are riding through. All maps end in Italy. We are beginning to realize that most travellers cycle south from Salzburg to Grado and very few travel in our direction. So it does make sense, I guess.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Carabinieri - Police Station in Palmanova
Heart 0 Comment 0
What a change from a few weeks ago, high 30's and now a high of 14 degrees.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 21 km (13 miles)
Total: 2,313 km (1,436 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0