Riding Towards the Alps - All Roads Lead to Italy - CycleBlaze

September 13, 2017

Riding Towards the Alps

Palmanova to Osoppo

The breakfast at our hotel in Palmanova was excellent. This strudel was filled with different kinds of fruit.
Heart 1 Comment 0
There was a lot to choose from, including spinach/cheese pie, museli and yogurt, many pastries, etc.
Heart 1 Comment 0
You can see the distinctive star shaped fortified wall and the city built in an octagonal shape.
Heart 1 Comment 0
This morning newspaper showed that there had been extreme flooding near Grado. Also, Tarvisio had 15 cm. of snow. We will be in Tarvisio in a couple of days. Mother Nature is throwing everything she's got at us but the Bartletts will fight back.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Well, this kind of sums up our journey in Italy so far - the before and after - showing flooding where we have been and snow where we are going. Yikes!
Heart 0 Comment 0
We see these chimneys with a place for a grill (we think) in many restaurants here.
Heart 0 Comment 0
What a difference a day makes - today is predicted to have some sun and less rain. The square in Palmanova today is a busy, vibrant place. Yesterday it was deserted. These 2 nuns saw us riding by and waved and cheered us on.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
A sunny day!!!
Heart 1 Comment 0
One of the four gates in Palmanova
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Palmanova's fortified walls and gates are still mostly intact. Cars are much bigger than what was intended - so there are street lights to keep the traffic to a single lane.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The heritage of this small town is honoured and protected by Unesco.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The remains of the bridge that crossed the moat.
Heart 0 Comment 0
To add to our sense of being in a historical place, this man rode by with his horse and buggy on the main road in the countryside.
Heart 1 Comment 0
We are seeing more cycle tourists since we are now on the Alpe Adria route.
Heart 1 Comment 0
A street in Palmanova. What a treat to start the day without rain.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We think that we will try the secondary roads today- it looks like it will be pretty muddy and wet on the trail.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The ditches are full and overflowing.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Harvest time in Italy.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We dropped in to a winery, latteria/formaggio shop and let Buster have a visit with the patriotic Italian cow.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Buster comparing notes with the cow.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
We liked this mosaic of a priest and his bicycle at the village church.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
The beautiful historic centre of Udine
Heart 0 Comment 0
Piazza Della Liberta, Undine
Heart 0 Comment 0
Piazza Della Liberta,Udine
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Today we are trying to avoid the route as much of it is flooded. The secondary roads are ok for riding.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Cats always find us - or is it the other way around? What a beauty.
Heart 1 Comment 0
This small town was filled with interesting murals
Heart 1 Comment 0
Mural of the church on the left side of the road
Heart 0 Comment 0
This mosaic was on the side of the our hotel in Osoppo
Heart 0 Comment 0
Oh yes, we see you.
Heart 1 Comment 0
A supported bike tour from the Czech Republic is staying at our hotel.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 65 km (40 miles)
Total: 2,378 km (1,477 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0