Cumberland to Confluence - Two Wheels, One Heart - CycleBlaze

October 15, 2023

Cumberland to Confluence

Climbing Big Savage for a spectacular treat of fall colors

The Dude at the Eastern Continental Divide
Heart 0 Comment 0

I awoke to a cloudy cool day. The heavy rain from last night had moved on. Breakfast was at the Airbnb. Today’s start was not what was planned. My cycling pal Allen had broken a spoke and needed it repaired. It was less than a mile trip to the bike shop. Wheelzup at Canal Place quickly went to work replacing the broken spoke.

A decision had to be made. It was now 11:00 a.m. I had 60 mile ride with the first 20 miles a strenuous climb. It was not looking promising to complete the ride as scheduled. After conversation with Catherine and Allen, we decided the best option would be to shuttle to the Frostburg Trailhead eliminating 15 miles and 1, 200 feet of climb. The bike shop had a shuttle service for a reasonable price.

Reached the Eastern Continental Divide
Heart 1 Comment 0

Shuttled to Frostburg, the three of us headed uphill 6 miles. It was a beautiful day for this climb. Trees were in full fall color, the sun was out and the rain had disappeared. We passed the Mason-Dixon line and reached the eastern portal of the Big Savage Tunnel. The view of the Narrows is a not to be missed reward for the climb.

The 3,291 foot Big Savage Tunnel was built by the the Western Maryland Railway and refurbished for the Great Allegheny Passage. We cycled through the tunnel and up to the Eastern Continental Divide where water to the east flows to the Atlantic and water to the west flows to the Caribbean.

Keystone Viaduct
Heart 1 Comment 0

It's a fast downhill after passing through the divide but a 12 to 14 mile per hour headwind with gusts of 20 miles per hour for the next 20 miles cheated us of that victory lap. I enjoy stopping at the restored Meyersdale Depot which is now a visitor center, gift shop, and railroad museum. Today it was a warming station for me with the temperature dropping to 50°.

Warmed, I headed east crossing the 1,908 foot Salisbury Viaduct. The viaduct provides a commanding view of the wind turbine ringed valley. Railroads, highways, and farms make for a perfect shot. 

Typical scene of the day
Heart 1 Comment 0

The clouds returned with an occasional sprinkle. I approached the Pinkerton Horn where the railroad built a tunnel to eliminate a 1.5 mile trip around the horn.  The views of the Casselman River Valley from the low bridge at the east portal and high bridge at the west portal were extra nice today.

It wasn't too many miles after when I reached the Confluence trailhead. It was dinner time and my companions and I had dinner at Lucky Dog Café. We stayed a little too late and cycled in the rain and darkness a short distance to the Parker House for the night.

Pinkerton High Bridge
Heart 0 Comment 0

Cardiac reflection

Eighteen years ago on this day I underwent a triple coronary bypass. Days like this with challenges, moments of discovery, and a feeling of achievement while surround by a beatiful world make me appreciate being alive and able to enjoy life on the bike. As I mentioned in an earlier post, none of this was remotely in my sights in 2005. I have discovered that life is a gift and that gift is often far beyond what you can fathom. Live every day like it is your last day. 

Living today as if it is my last day.
Heart 2 Comment 0

Today's Route

Heart 0 Comment 0

A day that was certainly not the norm.

Tom on the Trails

Fall colors along the casselman
Heart 3 Comment 0

Today's ride: 46 miles (74 km)
Total: 119 miles (192 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 1
Suzanne GibsonWhat a perfect way to commemorate your surgery!
Reply to this comment
7 months ago