Take a seat... (page 3) - CycleBlaze

Bicycle Travel Forum

Take a seat... (page 3)

Gregory GarceauTo Leo Woodland

I've resisted answering this post for a long time.  I'm kind of a "bah humbug" guy regarding expensive leather saddles, but then I've never owned one.  Like somebody said earlier, I just go with whatever my bike came with and it has always worked for at least a few hours per day.  Are bike saddles even SUPPOSED to be comfortable beyond a few hours?

Somewhat related, a few years ago I was setting up camp at a hiker/biker site in Glacier National Park and I met a guy who said he tours on his bike for half the year and is an electrician around Banff in the winter months.  He showed me his custom built bike and I couldn't believe that he had fashioned something that looked like a tractor seat onto his bike.  He offered to let me try it out.  The seat was huge and it curved around me like a butt-glove.  I do not know if it was leather or not, but with something like that, it's no wonder that farmers can ride around all day and all night on their tractors.

Reply    Link    Flag
2 weeks ago
Mark BinghamTo Leo Woodland

I've had a number of generic saddles over the years, none of which were comfortable. In the 1980s, after not riding after a year or so, I bought a gel saddle and, when that didn't help my discomfort, I bought a gel cover for the gel saddle. That made no difference either. I eventually learned, for me anyway, that the only thing that makes a saddle "softer" is butt calluses. 

Because of their reputation I considered getting a Brooks, and talked to some people who have done extensive touring (as in around the world) about their thoughts. Ultimately, I decided to at least sit on one, in spite of the fact that they're as hard as granite. I knew I wasn't being fair because I was already skeptical when I climbed on, fully prepared to scoff at the idea of spending that much on a saddle. To my amazement, I loved it... no breaking in, no pounding with a hammer, nothing. It was by far the best saddle I'd ever used. 

Having said that, one should understand that every person's anatomy is different. Just as some people have attached earlobes and others don't, and some people's appendix is on the left instead of the right, all of our "sit bones" aren't the same size, shape, or angle. I suspect that the small variations in the shape and width of a person's pelvis and ischial tuberosities are the main difference between one person liking a saddle and another person disliking it. However, I'm no saddle expert.

Reply    Link    Flag
2 weeks ago
George HallTo Mark Bingham

You are right about individual differences in our sit bones. So at least 1 company (Rivet) sells saddles in different widths and advises you to measure the spacing of your sit bones and buy accordingly.  Also, supposedly Rivet saddles have been treated such that they are waterproof - I have a Rivet saddle but I have always protected it from rain and dew anyway (out of habit I suppose).  

I'm not trying to be a salesman for Rivet - I like Brooks saddles as well, and I'd probably like Ideale if I ever tried one - I'm just pointing out that there are options on the market that address the concerns people have for differing widths and rain protection.    Rivet Saddles

I have a very interesting old advertisement for Brooks saddles that I had probably best not post here - it's a view from the rear of a young lady sitting astride a Brooks saddle in the buff - the Brits market things so much better than us.   That ad points out that Brooks saddles have been in existence since 1866 - they must be doing something right.

Reply    Link    Flag
2 weeks ago