Take a seat... (page 4) - CycleBlaze

Bicycle Travel Forum

Take a seat... (page 4)

Keith AdamsTo Leo Woodland

So, what's your story?  I see your question but haven't seen you answer it on your own behalf.  Inquiring minds want to know...

Reply    Link    Flag
1 year ago
Keith AdamsTo Leo Woodland

An update, as I'm certain everyone who has weighed in here has been waiting with bated breath to learn whether the new-to-me Brooks "Professional" leather saddle that I bought last autumn did or did not work out for me.

After spending the winter on my spin trainer, the saddle was finally transplanted to the touring bike on Friday evening.  (The WTB is now on the spin bike; I still have the older Selle Italia Turbo hanging around on the shelf as a backup in case I ever decide I want to put it back in service somewhere...)

I went for a 30 mile day ride yesterday.  Perhaps due to the previous owner's efforts, and / or to the additional over-the-winter break-in time it got on the spin bike, the Brooks had a noticeable amount of "give".  It was clearly no longer "as hard as granite" and was immediately comfortable.  Interestingly (or not) it had a noticeable amount of compliance and "give" that was not apparent when it was on the spin bike.

By contrast, the WTB seemed comfortable when I first used it but it seemed to get firmer and less comfortable as the miles rolled by.

One shortish ride is, of course, far from adequate as an extensive and thorough evaluation but the early indication is that it will be my preferred touring saddle.  Plus, to my eye at least, it adds just that little bit of extra cachet that marks Serenity as a "real touring bike".  200,000 miles from now, when the bike's been fully broken in and bears the inevitable scars of hard use, it'll *really* look like a bike that's "been around".  :)

Reply    Link    Flag
9 months ago
Graham SmithTo Leo Woodland

Léo I tried a non-leather saddle once. And only once. On a long day ride in charity event. It almost crippled me.
I’ve only ever cycle toured on Brooks leather saddles and won’t ever risk experimenting again with any other type of saddle. 

Reply    Link    Flag
9 months ago
Kirsten KaarsooTo Leo Woodland

I got a new Brooks saddle both on our tandem and on my single bike. I did no breaking in with either and 30, 000km + later still love them. ( tandem a 1600 km trip to start and the single a 9000km to start) I would not use anything else for touring. I had no issues. I agree with Mark Bingham that everyone is different but I will stick with my leather. My road bike has whatever it came with and for 100km or less with ‘rest’ days in between that seat seems to be fine too. I don’t think there is any leather on that seat!

Reply    Link    Flag
9 months ago
Jon AylingTo Leo Woodland

Another leather saddle convert here (Brooks for me of course!).

When I was a fair bit younger I'd ride pretty poor quality saddles, whatever came with the bike, and then for a long time a cheap but serviceable synthetic thing that, like my hindparts, took a lot of battering - and then fell apart.

Having to replace it I took the plunge and got the classic B17. I figured I could sell it on if I didn't get on with it, but I found it to be ok from the outset - not super comfortable (yet), but not unpleasant either. It did need breaking in, but after a couple of hundred miles (and a bit of polishing) definitely was being kinder on my behind. It's never felt soft, it's more that I just don't have nearly as much trouble with saddle sore or battered sit-bones as I used to. Now I happily ride it over cobbles, rocky paths etc with no suspension without discomfort. It's definitely very personal, and mileage will vary - there seem to be people who don't get on with them at all.

The main drawbacks are the weight of the thing - much less of a concern to me, when I consider how much the Surly + my kit + I weigh - and potential water exposure. I freaked out about this initially, as one great thing about the synthetic saddle is it just didn't care, it could be completely saturated and water would just run off it. But in practice it's not nearly as big a deal as I suspected - I just have a little rain-cover for it which I carry with me, or failing that a plastic bag. Have left it in torrential downpours outside overnight with no problem. It also encouraged me to finally fit mud-guards, which has been a worthwhile addition in general...

Reply    Link    Flag
9 months ago
Keith AdamsTo Graham Smith

Saddles are as individual as the people who use them.  I've ridden synthetic saddles that were quite comfortable, and also one memorably evil one that did to me as you experienced: after a single 30-mile ride I could barely walk because of the discomfort it caused.

"I’ve only ever cycle toured on Brooks leather saddles and won’t ever risk experimenting again with any other type of saddle. "

Agreed: once you find something that really works for you, why risk a change?

Reply    Link    Flag
9 months ago
David HeisnerTo Leo Woodland

For years I thought the leather seat was a "looks" thing. I don't do "looks". But after my last seat left me searching for comfort and after reading every post on this Forum, I decided to try a Brooks B17 carved. 

Today, as soon as I sat on it, I was amazed. A 60 mile run will be the final say but I am optimistic. And I've spent twice the money on a seat that is sitting on the shelf. 

Feeling good about my long distance comfort at the moment. 

Ranked in order of adding comfort.  

1. Aero Bars

2. Redshift shockstop seat post 

3. Vittoria Terreno Zero tubeless tires (run at a lower pressure)

3. Redshift handlebar grips

4.  Redshift shockstop stem

5. Brooks saddle (tbd) Will probably move up the list.

Reply    Link    Flag
9 months ago