Interesting Video(s) Anyone? (page 3) - CycleBlaze

Bicycle Travel Forum

Interesting Video(s) Anyone? (page 3)

Andrea BrownTo Karen Cook

Last night we watched an absolutely beautiful 1 hour video of a trip from the Pamir to the Karakoram Highways. It's an hour long so put your feet up. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FjhTegkTN4Q

Reply    Link    Flag
2 years ago
John SaxbyTo Karen Cook

Hi Karen,
Depends a bit on where you are, but I've found that May is usually a very good month in all of South-Central Africa:  just after the rainy season (that is, where the rains come in the hot season -- the Cape is an exception, the rains come in the cold season June-July-Aug), so that it's not too hot or too cold.

In mountainous areas, such as the Draakensberg in SA or Mulanje in Malawi, one must expect changeable weather -- but again, I've found May to be benign.

Sept./Oct/ early Nov., just before the rains, can be very hot and dry, hence uncomfortable -- it hasn't rained since March or April, remember. (Tho' it's spring, so the colours are often sublime.) After that, on the highveldt away from the Cape, beware thunderstorms.

Been a few years since I've read/used the LPG Southern Africa, but I found it to be a good resource.

Cheers,  J.

Reply    Link    Flag
2 years ago
Karen CookTo John Saxby

Hi John,

Thanks for the information.  Its fantastic to have first hand perspective.

Karen

Reply    Link    Flag
2 years ago
Karen CookTo Andrea Brown

Thanks, Andrea,

Looks like another good one.

Karen

Reply    Link    Flag
2 years ago
Graham SmithTo Karen Cook

Hi again Karen 

This video set in Scotland is fun, light hearted  and interesting. It has the classic line “It’ll be fun”,  they said. 

https://youtu.be/X9volnh5fXo

Reply    Link    Flag
2 years ago
Bob KoreisTo Karen Cook

I've enjoyed Dave Briggs videos. He has a long series of them made as he travelled from Greece to the UK. It's Bicycle Touring Across Europe. He has a YouTube channel with other touring videos, along with some product reviews. https://www.youtube.com/c/DaveBriggs/playlists

Reply    Link    Flag
2 years ago
Karen CookTo Graham Smith

Thanks, Bob and Graham. 
More fun videos to watch.  We are getting quite a collection!

Karen

Reply    Link    Flag
2 years ago
Bruce LellmanTo Karen Cook

I'm a little late to this party but I wanted to suggest several great videos (all of them a series of videos) on YouTube.  I'm not going to include links but anyone can easily search these names:

1. Ryan Van Duzer - American guy who mostly rides in the U.S.  His videos are top notch and his enthusiasm is infectious and Ryan is a true inspiration to Get Out There.  He loves people he meets along the way and he asks them great questions.  

2. Wheels to Wander - A Dutch couple who rode from Holland to Thailand.  Their videos are very nicely done.  Beautiful stuff.  They seek out back roads mostly.

3. Mikey T. Williams - American guy who rode in Central Asia - The Pamirs.   I really like his personality because he is off-beat and a real loner.  Plus, his videos are very culturally interesting.  

4. Ten Million Turns -  Dutch couple - Amsterdam to Auckland - No talking, just nice music and fairly short nice videos.  

5. 421 Adventure - "4 Wheels, 2 Hearts, 1 World" - He's Italian, she's French.  Helsinki to Singapore.  I really like this couple.  They are nice, always in good spirits and are obviously having the time of their lives.  Nice videos and they get better as their trip progresses.  They have just begun a new adventure riding from Ushuaia to Alaska.   They also support two charities.

6. Ed Pratt - What an unusual guy.  He rode his unicycle around the world!  Yes, he would have to be British! Good videos and interesting commentary.  He's fun.

Reply    Link    Flag
2 years ago
Karen CookTo Bruce Lellman

Better late than never, Bruce!

Thanks for the suggestions.

Karen

Reply    Link    Flag
2 years ago
Bruce LellmanTo Karen Cook

Oh, I forgot one.

Saddle Stories - Austrian couple - Austria to New Zealand however they were stopped by Covid in Malaysia in March 2020.  But they had a pretty amazing trip.  They have great taste in local music for their videos.  The first seven episodes don't have English subtitles yet.  

Reply    Link    Flag
2 years ago