Interesting Video(s) Anyone? (page 2) - CycleBlaze

Bicycle Travel Forum

Interesting Video(s) Anyone? (page 2)

Karen CookTo John Pescatore

Thanks, John.  I agree I think a lot of the success of these armature videos has to do with their personality.

Karen

Reply    Link    Flag
2 years ago
Karen CookTo Karen Cook

I almost forgot this one in Namibia.

In fact this cyclist has a whole serious that is great.  The video is fantastic.

Reply    Link    Flag
2 years ago
John SaxbyTo Karen Cook

Thanks for this, Karen.  Splendid tribute to a little-known place.  The sky- and landscapes are extraordinary.  I was privileged to visit Namibia a number of times when we lived next door in Pretoria between 2003 & 2006.  Spent some weeks hiking through landscapes unlike anything I'd ever seen or walked before--the Fish River canyon (the Fish runs N to S into the Orange River, the border between Namibia and the Northern Cape) and the Naukluft Plateau in the central part of the country, east of the great dunes. Hyenas on the trail, leopards coughing in the kopjes at night...

Reply    Link    Flag
2 years ago
Karen CookTo John Saxby

Hi John,

I would absolutely love to ride there someday.  I love deserts in general and Namibia looks exceptional.

Did you hike on your own or do guided trips?

Karen

Reply    Link    Flag
2 years ago
John SaxbyTo Karen Cook

Thanks, Karen.

I did two hikes in Namibia with friends I met via a hiking club in the Pretoria/Jo'burg area.  On the Fish River hike we were four: myself and our daughter, then 18; and in the Naukluft, we were eight, if memory serves, led by an experienced member of the club. (The Naukluft is largely a park, with hiking parties allowed to enter only every other day.)

With members of the same hiking club, I also made a weeklong hike in the Hogsback Mtns of the Eastern Cape, and a number of shorter hikes in the Northern and Mpumalanga provinces.

Happy to give you a reference or two if you find yourself (thinking about) going to those parts, though I'd have to check those beforehand. You could reach me by email on johncsaxby(at)rogers(dot)com.

Cheers,  John

Reply    Link    Flag
2 years ago
Jean-Marc StrydomTo Karen Cook

Karen

To add to John's comments, if you are interested in hiking in southern Africa let me know.  I can put you in touch with folk who are either professional guides or avid hikers.  One of my close friends has done Fish River Canyon eight times and now that he has retired hikes more days in the month than he spends at home.  Note that it can be very difficult do get a slot on the Fish River Canyon so it might be easier to link up with a group who have already secured a booking.

Jean-Marc

Reply    Link    Flag
2 years ago
John SaxbyTo Jean-Marc Strydom

Thanks, Jean-Marc.  I was going to suggest that Karen get in touch with you, but I figured you'd probably see our posts.  Much obliged - your knowledge, and your mate's, will be much more up-to-date than mine!

John

Reply    Link    Flag
2 years ago
Karen CookTo Jean-Marc Strydom

Hi Jean-Marc and John,

Thank you so much!  I may get in touch with you sometime.  I am actually moving towards semi-retirement (leading to retirement) and will be doing more adventures like this. 

What time of year is best for that area?

Karen

Reply    Link    Flag
2 years ago
Andrea BrownTo Karen Cook

It's probably not good form to tout our own videos, and certainly there are far more accomplished videographers out there but we hope ours are inspiring and interesting anyway. Our YouTube channel is https://www.youtube.com/user/sabaideetex/videos and 8 of the 15 videos are from our three bike trips (with one more still in production so stay tuned). 

Reply    Link    Flag
2 years ago
Karen CookTo Andrea Brown

Thanks, Andrea.

Videos made by Cycleblazers are always a nice contribution. 👍

Karen

Reply    Link    Flag
2 years ago