Interesting Video(s) Anyone? - CycleBlaze

Bicycle Travel Forum

Interesting Video(s) Anyone?

Karen Cook

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone has any favorite touring video(s) to recommend?  I'm thinking amateur videos but anything qualifies (because in the end what does it matter?! ;-)

I really like this one.  For one, it's well edited and a nice length, but I also like that I can relate to so many of the places/roads/city parks they ride through, and all the suffering, etc that went with it.

I remember the thrill of my first cross-country ride, the adventure of it, and this video brings all that back.  Can't wait to do another cross-country ride...

Enjoy!  And how about adding a video that you like?

TransAmerica Bike Tour 2019

Karen

Reply    Link    Flag
2 years ago
Bill StoneTo Karen Cook

Two of my favorites:

Bikepacking Kyrgyzstan -- Katrin Hollendung

Lands of Lost Borders -- Kate and Mel

Reply    Link    Flag
2 years ago
Paul MulveyTo Karen Cook

In addition to journaling my trip, I've done some videos about the trip, keeping them a reasonable length (about 3min per day) to show the highlights and the thoughts going through my mind during the tour. I find that when it's raining outside for several days and I cannot get on the bike I'll watch these and remember the tour and the experiences all over again.

My YouTube channel

Additionally, I'm going to be posting the same for my upcoming New England Coast tour with Kathleen. Yup. There, I said it! Sep 23 we are on the road again from Portland ME to Boston to Cape Cod to Newport RI to Providence RI. I guess now that it's out I should post a blog entry announcing it.

Reply    Link    Flag
2 years ago
Karen CookTo Bill Stone

Hi Bill,

Thanks!  Loved those videos!  

Totally inspiring.  I would love to visit those places.

Karen

Reply    Link    Flag
2 years ago
Karen CookTo Paul Mulvey

Hi Paul,

Thanks!  Just saw them so I haven't watched but I will.  

Someday I want to ride in New England (in fall I hope, when the leaves are turning) so I will look forward to being inspired. :-)

Karen

Reply    Link    Flag
2 years ago
Graham SmithTo Karen Cook

Hi Karen, “The Bikes of Wrath” documentary movie is my favourite. An entertaining, informative cycle tour by a group of young Australians based on John Steinbeck’s “Grapes of Wrath”.

It’s available free online now via our public broadcaster ABC but might geo-blocked for overseas viewers.

More info here:

https://thebikesofwrath.com/

Reply    Link    Flag
2 years ago
Karen CookTo Graham Smith

Thanks, Graham!

Reply    Link    Flag
2 years ago
Lyle McLeodTo Karen Cook

I'll second Graham Smith's Bikes of Wrath recommendation. Great film.

My personal favourite is Pedal by Hera van Willick, a wonderful 8 minute short that made the 'Best Of' short list in the Banff Mountain Film Festival in 2017.

Full disclosure,  we have a small personal connection to the film. Hera stayed with us for several days (Warm Showers) in late October 2016 when she was on her Alaska to South America trip. She was really pushing the weather envelope! Part of her stay here she volunteered at the Banff Film Festival and during her trip put together most of the footage for this film using only her Iphone . She entered the film in the festival the next year (2017) and this is the result. 

Some special moments for us ... the" TV Sucks .. Ride Your Bike" sticker ... same ones are on our bikes and we gave her the one she has. The day she arrived at our place in late October, she had ridden from Bow Lake on the Icefield Highway . We were early season back country skiing that day and the last thing we expected was a Warm Showers request. In the film there is a short clip of a very big snow plow passing by her ... that was at Bow Lake on this day!

Hera is a very special and talented person. Hope you enjoy the film.

Reply    Link    Flag
2 years ago
John PescatoreTo Karen Cook

Youtube randomly suggested I watch a video of a young woman as she did the Transamerica route east to west with a group who met through a posting in the Adventure Cycling Association magazine "Riders Wanted" ads.

I didn't watch all of them, but got hooked by her enthusiasm and ended up watching most of the last half of the trip. Her channel is here, I think a direct link to the Transamerica playlist is here.

Reply    Link    Flag
2 years ago
Karen CookTo Lyle McLeod

Excellent.  Thanks, Lyle.

Reply    Link    Flag
2 years ago