Did anyone participate in Bike Travel Weekend? - CycleBlaze

Bicycle Travel Forum

Did anyone participate in Bike Travel Weekend?

Paul Mulvey

I know those of us in this group are more like über-tourers, but curious if anyone participated in Bike Travel Weekend that Adventure Cycling put on? I volunteered a trip for those in the north-GA area, and I had one participant (me). So I said to myself, "Self, let's go anyway" and had a nice 65-mile 23-hour adventure. 

I didn't write a journal for this as it was a very short trip, but I offer you a video. I know several of you on this site enjoy the touring videos, so here's another one. 

Reply    Link    Flag
2 years ago
Bob DistelbergTo Paul Mulvey

Didn't do it this year, although I have done it twice in the past, both times solo. Unlike you, I didn't camp though. One trip I stayed in a B&B, the other in a hotel. Unfortunately, it always seems to fall on my anniversary, so I feel a little guilty about going then. I did actually post the first one I did here on Cycleblaze. Great job on that video.

Reply    Link    Flag
2 years ago
Paul MulveyTo Bob Distelberg

Thanks for pointing me to the link. I enjoyed reading through your first experience. We all have our first touring experience, and when the bug bites us, that's it - we keep doing it. 

When you posted a picture of Newfane - I said to myself - "That looks familiar" and then realized I stopped there on my way through Vermont in 1997 on my way to Montreal. My eldest daughter was only a few months old and we were on a road trip, so, yeah, it's very picturesque. There was a farmer's market or something going in around the courthouse that morning, and we did stop in a general store I believe during our pass through there, so who knows, maybe we've met and didn't even know it (unless the dates are way out of the timeframe). 

Keep on ridin' and keep on postin' - cheers!

Reply    Link    Flag
2 years ago
Gregory GarceauTo Paul Mulvey

I never seem to find these events in time.  I rode my bike to work almost every day for thirty years before I knew there was an actual "National Bike to Work Day."  I rode my bike every day in April just because that's what I do.  Then I found out about the 30 days of biking pledge to ride every day of that month.  Again, I was too late to the party.  Now there's a Bike Travel Weekend?

Reply    Link    Flag
2 years ago
Bob DistelbergTo Paul Mulvey

Well, we didn't move there until 2002, so you were definitely there before us. So no, I don't think we've ever met. Over the years, I've been very surprised at how many people have gone to, or at least heard of, this tiny little town in Vermont though. 

Reply    Link    Flag
2 years ago
Paul MulveyTo Gregory Garceau

Well, at least you responded to my post and participated in "National Cycleblaze 'Reply to forum post' Day 2021". So you got that going for you...which is nice. :-D

Reply    Link    Flag
2 years ago
Graham SmithTo Paul Mulvey

Hi Paul, I wasn’t aware of the event. Is it intended to be an international day, or more of a USA day?

The only similar day I know of that we have here in Australia is a Ride2Work Day which is promoted by our national cycling advocacy organisation Bicycle Network Australia. I don’t know of an Australian equivalent to Bike Travel Weekend. I like the concept though.

Reply    Link    Flag
2 years ago
Paul MulveyTo Graham Smith

It's touted as "international" but that probably means "mostly USA". It's designed as a way to get people out there and touring which supports the mission of the Adventure Cycling Association. I was hosting a 1-night trip but the participants canceled at the last hour so I went it alone. It was still fun - any chance I get to pedal and camp is good.

More at Bike Travel Weekend

Reply    Link    Flag
2 years ago
Neil JordanTo Paul Mulvey

I participated in this year's event - my first since retiring.  My entry in ACA was "Head Start to O'Neill Park" in rural Orange County.  I ride a Catrike Expedition recumbent trike, and spent three nights (June 3, 4, and 5) at the park.  On the last day, another group of four 2-wheel bikepackers arrived at the adjacent campsite. They had also signed up for the event.

I might create a journal entry, but for now, I will note that the best cycle access to O'Neill Regional Park is not Live Oak Canyon Road.  The road is narrow and has no  bike lane.  My speed up grade was about 3 mph.  Down grade, I had no trouble keeping up with the cars, more than 30 mph.  Instead, take the pedestrian/cycle entry gates on the south mesa, connecting to Live Oak Canyon Trail in the City of Rancho Santa Margarita.

Lunch at Cook's Corner and a ride through Santiago Canyon capped the weekend.

Reply    Link    Flag
2 years ago