Post your bike. (page 4) - CycleBlaze

Bicycle Travel Forum

Post your bike. (page 4)

Emmet FarrellTo Kelly Iniguez
Getting it back together so I can train for France in September!
Reply    Link    Flag
2 years ago
Paul MulveyTo Kelly Iniguez

I tend to travel fairly light. Keep in mind this picture is from my Florida tour this past Spring. It was hotel stays so all I needed to carry was overnight and off-bike clothing in the seat bag. My left fork carried half-gallon of water and right fork had electronics, charging cables, and personal effects.

At Southern Florida College. Many of the institution's buildings were designed by Frank Lloyd Wright
Like any reasonable bike tourist, we went around this "roadblock" with no issues.
Reply    Link    Flag
2 years ago
gj de RollerTo Kelly Iniguez
My ex-commuting bike, still going strong. It is a Aligt Modern, a strong alu bike.
My trekking recumbent, a Nazca Pioneer, with me in front of a megalithic tomb in The Netherlands.
Reply    Link    Flag
2 years ago
Ed ChimahuskyTo Kelly Iniguez

I have toured on 2 different recumbents, a Lightning P-38 and a RANS Stratus XP. The RANS is a much more comfortable ride as I found a loaded P-38 really back heavy. I currently tour on the RANS.

Pre-2022 tour test ride on the RANS Stratus XP.
Touring on the P-38 in western Michigan 2021.
Reply    Link    Flag
1 year ago
Keith AdamsTo Kelly Iniguez

Over the years I've had a few.  Let's start with the late-and-still-lamented Scout, a mid-80s Trek 620 that I bought while still in grad school, with some of the cash we were given as wedding gifts.

Scout at the start of a do-it-ourselves small group tour down the Natchez Trace Parkway in April 2006. He wouldn't survive the journey, succumbing to an injury sustained during an unsuccessful theft attempt about 15 years earlier.
The would-be thief tried to rip the U lock off by yanking on the crossbar. All he succeeded in doing was denting the seat tube, which finally gave way after another decade and a half of hard service.

Before Scout's demise, in 2001 we added the first recumbent tandem to the fleet.  It's a Vision R85 model built by the now-defunct Advanced Transportation Products company in Seattle.  We took this bike, "Elsie" (Lawn Chairs On Wheels), to England, the Loire valley, and Burgundy in 2002, 2003, and 2005 respectively.  These were all supported trips, so the panniers were just there to carry jackets, rain gear, food, and sundries.  Our primary luggage rode in the van the organizers provided.

England, 2002.
Elsie with us at Chambord, in the Loire valley, the following year. This photo is on the face of our credit cards; when someone comments on it I casually explain that the building in the background is the servant's wing of our summer weekender cottage. Every once in a while someone believes me.

The increasing hassles of traveling by air with such a beast finally induced us to part with it between the Burgundy trip and a tour in Tuscany in 2008.  We sold Elsie to some friends and replaced it with Abner, a Bike Friday Doubleday.  Abner's taken us to Tuscany (2008), Alsace (2011), the French Atlantic Coast (2012), Puglia (2014), and finally the Isere Valley in 2019.  Like our other European trips these were all fully-supported affairs so the panniers were once again just for toting "incidentals" during the day.

Abner's first overseas trip (with us, at least): Tuscany, 2008.

(As an aside, after our friends divorced a few years after we sold Elsie, we bought it back because we prefer it to Abner for general riding.  It just won't fly with us anywhere, so we have them both.  I really ought to sell Abner because our days of European touring have probably come to an end, eliminating the need for that bike.)

Stepping back a moment in time to 2007, I finally replaced Scout with a Bike Friday New World Tourist I've christened Odysseus.  I thought at the time it'd be a great way to do fly-and-ride trips, using the optional conversion kit to turn the travel suitcase into a trailer for my gear.  In the end I never did that, opting to use panniers instead.

Odysseus' inaugural / shakedown tour, a three day loop along Skyline Drive and the Shenandoah Valley in Virginia, about Labor Day weekend of 2007.
On the road in October 2007, on a do-it-ourselves tour of southside Virginia with several friends. This was the only tour where I used the suitcase as a gear trailer.
Odysseus on his big adventure, summer 2022.
We made it together from Bend, OR to Cody WY before I called it quits.
It was a good thing I stopped when I did: I was unaware until Odysseus returned home that the frame had begun to fail. Had I continued, it'd almost certainly have suffered a catastrophic failure at a most inconvenient moment.
One of these things is not like the other, but should be.

After my month of touring on Odysseus in 2022, I became convinced that a different bike would be a better alternative for me.  After considerable research, I settled on the Phinney Ridge model from R+E Cycles in Seattle.  Their bikes are all made-to-order, so "bespoke", though I make a (probably artificial) distinction between them and a completely custom bike since the R+E approach is to begin from a standard frame size and add components of the customer's choosing from a menu of options.  They're happy to deviate from their menus by customer request, but I found their options to be exactly in line with my taste and preferences so that wasn't necessary.

Meet the newest member of my stable, Serenity.

Serenity on its maiden voyage, November 2022. This was a two-day, one-night overnight with a hotel stay so there was no need to carry all the camping gear.
Pausing for a break along the way.
I elected to splash out for the optional bottle opener, a feature exclusive to R+E Cycles.
Reply    Link    Flag
1 year ago
George HallTo Kelly Iniguez

I don't have great pics of me with my bikes, simply because I'm usually the photographer and haven't always taken as many selfies as I should have for the sake of posterity.  But I have a few.

My first "real bike," upon which I commenced doing some adventurous touring was a 1974 Motobecane Mirage;

Photo Taken at Harris Brake Lake in Central Arkansas, 1975

Note the toeclips, frame pump, "safety" brake levers, and friction shifters located on the stem.  My girlfriend lived 45 miles away from my home in Little Rock in the foothills of the Quachitas near Harris Brake Lake, and even though it was hilly I could ride that distance in less than 3 hours; hey, I was young and motivated.   My riding clothes in those days consisted of gym shorts, t-shirt, and running shoes; I did lots of out-and-back overnight tours of 100 -200 miles with little more equipment than shown above.  Also note the lack of a helmet; I didn't start wearing a helmet until 1978 0r 1979.  When I moved to Tulsa in 1977 for work, I commuted to work on this bike until it was stolen.   This is the only bike I have ever had for a significant time that I rode without a leather saddle. 

Next up is my 1978 Schwinn Super le Tour.  I only recently parted with it by donating it to a good cause.  Note the downtube friction shifters, toe clips, and Brooks leather saddle.  I was wearing a Bell helmet by this time, it's just not in the picture.  My "jersey" in this picture is a Philippine wedding shirt that I wore at the wedding of a friend who married a girl raised in the Philipines; each shirt is similar but made slightly different for each member of the wedding party.  What to do with such a shirt after the wedding? - mine became a bike touring jersey, of course. 

Schwinn Super le Tour - 1980 Oklahoma Freewheel Supported Tour

A picture I like better for that bike is the one shown below, but it doesn't show much detail.  My bike is in the middle with the blue shower cap (storm just ended) and the yellow Kirtland Tour handlebar bag.  I'm a lifetime member of the League of American Wheelmen (LAW, now called the League of American Bicyclists but it will always be the LAW to me) so it was a pleasant surprise to find my bike on the cover in Feb 1981. 

A Stop Along the 1980 Oklahoma Freewheel Route

This is getting long and the wife (yeah, that's the girlfriend noted above) says we have pizza, so I got to wrap it up.  In 2008 I bought a new-in-the-box 1981 Raleigh Super Course (lost in a bankrupt warehouse for 27 years, discovered when the warehouse operation was sold) and assembled it.

A Brand-New 1981 Raleigh Super Course - in 2008!

I added fenders, a Brooks saddle, swapped the narrow handlebar for a 46cm Nitto Noodle with leather handlebar tape, changed out the toe clips for SPDs, and totally redid the drivetrain with new cranks and a compact double chainwheel setup.  Here's a picture of the bike with everything but the Honjo Hammered Aluminum fenders;

Almost Complete Build, 1981 Raleigh Super Course

I rode this bike on Freewheel 2008 and the Hotter-Than-Hell-Hundred, and used it for my daily rider for years.  It was fun to ride new old technology, but it truthfully isn't near as lively as a modern road bike. 

Running out of time, finally here is my touring bike that I have ridden on every self-supported tour since 2015;

"Harvey," My Semi-Custom Touring Bike - 2015 Photo

The bike above is built on a Surly frame, but every single component is custom, including the hand-built wheels, so call it what you will.  It's a solid-as-a-rock touring machine with low gearing based on a compact double setup, and uses a SON dynohub for 24/7 lights.  I formerly used it for touring and commuting but only use it for touring now that I have retired.   

Reply    Link    Flag
1 year ago
Mark BinghamTo Kelly Iniguez

My first "touring" bike was a 1981 Italian Viner . I put "touring" in quotes because it's actually a racing bike, but when I bought it I didn't know anything about frame geometry. Even so, I took it on numerous trips for fifteen years. 

My bike is the one on the right.

In 1997 I bought a Bruce Gordon, and have been using it ever since.

taken just before my 2020 trip
Reply    Link    Flag
1 year ago
Graham SmithTo Kelly Iniguez

Way back last century.  Pic taken somewhere between Haifa and Afula in northern Israel. 

The bike is 1979 Ernie Clements Falcon Olympic.  Fitted with Karrimor rack and panniers. My first tour was from England to Israel;  and this was my first touring bike which I used for over 30 years.

I sold it a few years ago. 

I toured light in ‘79. Plastic ground sheet, I kg sleeping bag; cotton inner sheet; a camera and not much else.
Reply    Link    Flag
1 year ago
John EganTo Kelly Iniguez

1) Lucy in Banff National Park 

2) Lucy at the Delta River in Alaska

Reply    Link    Flag
1 year ago
Charmaine RuppoltTo Scott Anderson

Love your Bike Fridays! :)  I have a Pocket Pilot that I bought in 2005, and it's been all over the world!  It's my favorite bike!! :)

Reply    Link    Flag
1 year ago