Well, I Didn't See That Coming! Mad Dogs But No Englishmen (page 2) - CycleBlaze

Bicycle Travel Forum

Well, I Didn't See That Coming! Mad Dogs But No Englishmen (page 2)

George HallTo Kelly Iniguez

Kelly - My wife told my adult kids what she thought I would do and told them not to say anything and see if I did it. She was right, of course - after 43 years of marriage she has me figured out.  As soon as I got home from the ER and pharmacy, I rounded up my trusty .22 caliber rifle that I haven’t fired in many years and limped out to my van and went looking for the mutts.  I couldn’t imagine what would happen if they came upon a child or even another unaware adult. I didn’t find them - I went back the next morning and drove all the roads within a couple of miles, still no sign of them. I have been told that when a rabid dog becomes mad enough that it will attack humans, that it probably doesn’t have long to live after that point. There are lots of woods out in that rural area where they could be hidden. The sheriffs deputy did go out and look for them, but he was also unsuccessful.  So I hope the threat has taken care of itself.

I needed crutches yesterday, otherwise I had to hobble slowly and painfully. Today I’m walking unassisted, but it’s still painful and I don’t have a full range of motion at the ankle.  It’s improving slowly - as of now we expect a 10-day delay in the tour start - that gives me time to finish the rabies shot series at home, and hopefully be back to riding - I know I’m not going to be riding for a few days yet.  Take care,

Buddy

Reply    Link    Flag
2 years ago
Edward HitchcockTo George Hall

Sorry to hear about that.  Frightening to read about.  I had not realised that rabies made dogs want to attack, so thank you for that bit of learning.

One of the pleasures of riding in France is that dogs here are almost always well-fenced.   Almost being an important word here.

Bon courage for your recovery and trip.

Ed

Reply    Link    Flag
2 years ago
Rachel and Patrick HugensTo George Hall

Wow George! What an ordeal. Hoping you are healing and have a speedy recovery.

Racpat

Reply    Link    Flag
2 years ago
Jon AylingTo George Hall

Wow, that is quite a terrifying encounter. Glad to hear you're ok and are healing up.

It could have been worse: if you'd been bitten by an Englishman then you'd need even more shots.

Reply    Link    Flag
2 years ago
George HallTo Jon Ayling

Jon - I'd give your reply a "like" if I could.  The ER doc told me that a human bite contains more germs than a dog bite - who would have thunk it?  So being bit by an Englishman would indeed have been worse.  

Reply    Link    Flag
2 years ago
Gregory GarceauTo George Hall

"So being bit by an Englishman would indeed have been worse."

I think that would only be true if the Englishman had also been rabid.

Of all the dogs I've ever ridden past, yellow labs seem to be the most docile.  No doubt that guy was rabid and I'm glad you got your shots.

As a veteran of the Northern Tier, I was anxious to read your journal, but under the circumstances, I can wait until you heal.

Reply    Link    Flag
2 years ago

Hi George

I hope you can keep the post informed of progress.  

Whereabouts are you?  And is rabies a known problem around there?  

Have you any confirmation that the dogs that attacked you were rabid?

It will be interesting to read what you have to say.

Regards

Ed

Reply    Link    Flag
2 years ago
George HallTo Edward Hitchcock

Edward;

Tulsa, OK.  Rabies is not generally a problem here, and in many years of cycling I have never encountered mad dogs like this.  No confirmation - the dogs have disappeared - IF they had rabies, by the time they reach the point they will attack a human they have only a few days left to live.  The area is rural with lots of woods and small farms - plenty of places for the dogs to have disappeared into and/or died and not be discovered for some time.  

Whether or not they had rabies, I am receiving the rabies vaccine as a precaution.  I just got the 3rd of 4 injections, the last one will be given in 1 week.  And I just finished the last of a strong antibiotic.  Wounds are healing ok, I rode 16 miles yesterday, that was my 1st ride in 6 days. My daughter will remove the sutures this weekend, cycling-wise I should be good to go on tour in 1 week immediately after I receive the last rabies shot.   That's the plan.   Best,

Buddy Hall

Reply    Link    Flag
2 years ago

Thanks Buddy

I read that you must take the injections before symptoms, so you are evidently following good practice.  

I have had tick bites here in France.  Something else that's not serious provided you treat before disease symptoms......

Go well

Ed

Reply    Link    Flag
2 years ago
Graham SmithTo George Hall

Buddy I’m late to reply but would like to pass on my best wishes. I hope you are mending well with no complications from this awful, traumatic experience. 

Reply    Link    Flag
2 years ago