taking the ferry across Lake Michigan (page 3) - CycleBlaze

Bicycle Travel Forum

taking the ferry across Lake Michigan (page 3)

Scott AndersonTo Mike Jamison

Thanks, Mike.  We’ll keep this in mind and may get in touch with you later this spring if we decide to do this.  Looking forward to seeing your journals showing up here!

Reply    Link    Flag
3 years ago
Mike JamisonTo Scott Anderson

Thanks Scott! Jeff has one of my journals from the other site in hand and that will hopefully land here soon. I think has has a bit of a back log to work through. Once that is translated to CycleBlaze I'll queue up some others for the same. Appreciate the welcome.

Reply    Link    Flag
3 years ago
Rachel and Patrick HugensTo Michael Bifano

Michael,

We too appreciate your response and Kelly's question. In planning our route the question of what to do is still up in the air. Our decision though is centered between taking the slow ferry or cycle north. Do you know or anyone else on this topic know what the northern route is like?

Racpat 

Reply    Link    Flag
3 years ago
Michael BifanoTo Rachel and Patrick Hugens

Rapcat,

Welcome and greetings. Since I'm not sure which side of the lake you plan to start your trip on and how much time you have, I'll give you my general reflections going north from Wisconsin and Michigan.

A little bit about my background, I've been touring for the last nine years--56 weeks on the road in total--the plurality being in Michigan, because I lived there for 16 years. My first few tours were in Michigan; later I looped the big lake, then did most of it again. 

When most people tour lake Michigan, they skip some of the best things. I strongly feel that it's far better to thoroughly explore the northern half, than barrel around the lake for the sake of an accomplishment. 

North from Manitowoc is outstanding without delay. You get a rail trail on the water where you pass a delightful arboretum.  Two Rivers has one of the best state parks on the lake: Point Beach. A long bike trail takes you from town straight through the campground, winding through a white cedar swamp. The lakeshore north of the park is quiet and very agricultural. Lots of old dutch silos and corn.

When you get to Kewaunee you can either get on a winding unpaved rail trail that takes you either towards Sturgeon Bay or Green Bay. The trail is very wooded and has the most birds I think I ever saw. A lot of towns in that area call themselves "Bird City", and I saw why. If you stick to the lake and head towards Door county, you're heading towards of the best areas in the region. It's a ninety mile long peninsula that's just stunning. Lots of orchards and art. The oldest trees in the midwest, and the incomparable Niagra Escarpment. On top of if it all, Washington Island has 100 miles of paved roads. I am in love with that island!

South of Sturgeon Bay to Green Bay and North isn't nearly as scenic until you hit Lake Superior.

North from Ludington has its own treasures. Just like with DC on the other side, there's do many things to see, you're so much better off meandering a bit. Besides Sleeping Bear Dunes which may be the very best spot on the lake and nobody misses, there's other places worth seeing. Torch Lake is one, Old Mission Peninsula is another. Each will set you back a half day. North of Petoskey you can straddle the coast to hit the Tunnel of Trees.  All of Northwest Michigan is a nirvana for bike touring. Plenty of rail trails, and, having recently toured in the southwest, including Joshua Tree, I appreciate more than ever the abundance of clean water the region has, plus how easy it is to plan routes. Without mountains, you can be very caviler; moreover almost every road is scenic and safe, and no way you ever have to get forced into a freeway like elsewhere.

Since this post got so long, I'll just say have a great tour, absolutely do not miss Mackinac Island, and if you have any questions, let me know. Michigan and Wisconsin are two of the very best states to tour in, so I believe you're going to have a great time.

Mike,

P.S. Wisconsin is a little more lax with respect to Coronavirus restrictions.

Reply    Link    Flag
3 years ago
Mike JamisonTo Rachel and Patrick Hugens

Rachel & Patrick -

I have a couple tours on "that other site" that might be helpful to you. Although I was told I'd be getting booted off over there, my journals can still be found, though I don't know for how long. The two journals that might be helpful to you are titled "Headlong Into The Petri Dish" and "Circumlakemichigation." I won't launch into a long description, but take a gander and maybe the narrative and maps might answer some questions about the ride between Ludington and the Mackinac bridge. My wife and I did a tour last September starting in Ludington, riding a loop to Mackinaw City, and back along the lakeshore. We used both the "old" (and now out of print) and "new" ACA maps for western Michigan. The "Circumlakemichigation" ride was a a solo tour I did six years ago starting in Wisconsin, heading north up and over Lake Michigan, coming south to Ludington, taking the slow ferry and riding home to Stoughton, Wi. south along the Wisconsin side of Lake Michigan and North Milwaukee. You know how to search for that stuff on crazy guy, I'm sure. Hurry though, before I get erased : - )

Reply    Link    Flag
3 years ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesTo Mike Jamison

Please be sure to download all your journals from "over there" so that you can post them here. If you are in danger of getting the boot your journals as well as your account are likely to be deleted, never to be seen again.  Oh, and welcome to Cycleblaze. We are glad to have you join us.

Reply    Link    Flag
3 years ago
Mike JamisonTo Steve Miller/Grampies

Yes!! Absolutely. I downloaded them all right away when I was informed I was not welcome anymore. I think Jeff A. has a LOT of refugee journals he's being asked to port over to CycleBlaze right now. Thanks for making sure I got that done Steve, and thank you (and others) for the warm welcome. 

Reply    Link    Flag
3 years ago
marilyn swettTo Rachel and Patrick Hugens

Welcome to CB! We done several tours in Michigan and Wisconsin, and enjoyed them all - a couple of them are covered in journals on that other site. Eventually they'll be moved here. 

One trip covered Ludington north to Mackinaw City and followed Highway 2 along Lake Michigan in the Upper Penninsula - nice road, wide shoulder, camping and services along the water. We returned through Wisconsin to Manitowoc and caught the Badger ferry back to Ludington - highly recommended.

On another trip, we were in Ontario and crossed back into the US at Sault Ste. Marie. From there we stayed north in the Upper Penninsula mostly along Highway 28. This took us near Lake Superior. Again, an enjoyable ride except between Newberry and Munising where we hit heavy tourist traffic and little shoulder. Highlights to see are Whitefish Point and Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore. We also rode to the tip of the Keweenaw Penninsula. 

I concur with everything Michael said about cycling in both states and the other areas he mentioned. Door County and Washington Island were enjoyable. 

The sunsets on both Lake Michigan and Lake Superior were stunning!

Reply    Link    Flag
3 years ago
Michael BifanoTo marilyn swett

I was wondering if anyone has ever taken the Grand Marais Truck Trail? It's an unpaved road that goes east from Grand Marais along the shore of Lake Superior. I heard it's very rough, but the conditions are variable. I ask because if it were passable, it would be a cool way around the "Seney Stretch", the area you had trouble with (a notorious clip that goes from Newberry to Seney, with no shoulder and high traffic volume). 

Reply    Link    Flag
3 years ago
Michael HendrichTo Michael Bifano

Hi,

We have toured from Ludington to various parts of WI/UP/MI many times, some are journaled on CG. The Truck trail east of Grand Marais is very sandy for more than 10 miles, you'll be walking much without fat tires. Though, it is tempting to hack through the sand to Muskallonge State Park and pavement thereafter. We did not find the  "Seney Stretch" too bad (as a connector) towards Tahquamenon Falls.  The route west (Grand Marais/Munsing/Marquette) is great, much of it right along Superior. If going further west, L. Gogebic is beautiful.

Reply    Link    Flag
3 years ago