taking the ferry across Lake Michigan (page 4) - CycleBlaze

Bicycle Travel Forum

taking the ferry across Lake Michigan (page 4)

Wayne EstesTo Michael Bifano

In 2001 I biked the Truck Trail from Grand Marais to Muskallonge Lake. I didn't walk any of it, handled the sandy road just fine with 47mm tires on a recumbent bike. I remember it being a lonely ride through forested rolling hills.

At that time there were also 20 unpaved miles between Munising and Grand Marais. That section was more difficult. I pushed the bike through the biggest sandy sections and crashed a few times in deep sand. Fortunately it's a soft landing when you crash on deep sand.

Reply    Link    Flag
3 years ago
Kelly IniguezTo Wayne Estes

I've had a few people warn me about this stretch. Each time I'm concerned my memory is bad. This time I've gone back and made a map. I switched to satellite view and zoomed in at the road in random places. Every place I examined had a paved road with lines.  

There is also a trail right along the cliff. Perhaps that is what people are warning me about? 

As a side note: Boat Tours of Picture Rocks are currently canceled. Perhaps that will change between now and July. It is interesting that the person who gets seasick easily (me) is interested in the boat tour . .  .

Reply    Link    Flag
3 years ago
James FitchTo Kelly Iniguez

When I was investigating this a few months ago, I was assured by several locals that the road between Grand Marais and Munising was now paved, a relatively recent development. I've seen more than one journal that bemoaned the condition of the unpaved road. I was warned against the Grand Marais Truck Trail, which remains unpaved, with sections of soft sand or gravel that make it difficult for biciycles.

Reply    Link    Flag
3 years ago
Wayne EstesTo Kelly Iniguez

The trail along the cliff is  the North Country National Scenic Trail which crosses 8 states from New York to North Dakota. The 42 mile segment in the National Lakeshore is a hugely popular backpacking route. Bikes are allowed on some parts of the North Country Trail but it appears that bikes are prohibited on the busy trail in Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore.
Hopefully the Pictured Rocks boat tour will be running again by summer.

Reply    Link    Flag
3 years ago
Rachel and Patrick HugensTo Kelly Iniguez

We too are planning to take the slow ferry....Patrick also is inclined to sea sickness

take Dramamine .

Reply    Link    Flag
3 years ago
Kelly IniguezTo Kelly Iniguez

In the interest of sharing information - I have heard/read several places that parking at the ferry terminal is free. Updated information from the fast ferry website today says that 3 hours of parking is free, after that it is $5.00 a day.

Reply    Link    Flag
3 years ago
Michael HendrichTo Kelly Iniguez

Unless parking has changed in the last few years, we have parked for a month both in Ludington and Manitowoc in different years. It is free and the car is safe. The road between Munising and Grand Marais (H58?) is a very nice ride. After Grand Marais to East is variable sandy depending on the last storm and recent winds. Might be ok or might have thick sand, wide tires (2") would help. Strong winds come from the north (Superior is an inland ocean) and have carved through the mineral rock which gives the area its name. I would recommend spending a day from Munising doing the kayak tour if they are open again. The motor tour boat ride along the shore is picturesque, but hoo-hum.

Reply    Link    Flag
3 years ago
Nancy WrightTo Kelly Iniguez

I have taken the Badger ferry 8 times and the fast ferry 3 times. I would take the fast ferry. The Badger is coal fired and they are trying to discontinue it because it pollutes the lake. And, it smells coal fired. The routes when arriving in Muskegon are good for cycling, with several trail options, and Milwaukee has a good system of trails and bike friendly roads.

Reply    Link    Flag
2 years ago
Kelly IniguezTo Nancy Wright

I just purchased our tickets for the fast ferry a few days ago!  

To update information - it is $5.00 a day to leave your vehicle at the fast ferry. I did not ask if there was a limit on how many days. From previous posts here, it sounds as if parking at the Badger Ferry is free . . . 

In the meanwhile, we have friends in town, so will leave our vehicle with them for the duration. 

I am watching the weather with great interest. We are in a severe drought here in western Colorado and the rain won't quit in Michigan! I have resigned myself to bringing winter clothing. It appears that the weather will be wet, windy, and low temperatures . . .  . I'm crossing my fingers that a lot will change before our first riding day, July 1st.

Reply    Link    Flag
2 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Kelly Iniguez

I’m not sure about July 1st, but you might be timing it just right.  As of now anyway, it looks like the rains stop in Milwaukee on July 2nd.  I sure hope so.  It’s growing old fast.

Reply    Link    Flag
2 years ago