taking the ferry across Lake Michigan (page 2) - CycleBlaze

Bicycle Travel Forum

taking the ferry across Lake Michigan (page 2)

jerry witherspoonTo David Chavez

Looks awful like the route Harpo and I took.  Worked well.

spoon

Reply    Link    Flag
3 years ago
Kelly IniguezTo Kelly Iniguez

For anyone else interested in taking the ferry across Lake Michigan, I thought I would add this information that I believe to be correct. I read of a couple who left their vehicle for free for three weeks at the Ludington Ferry Terminal parking lot. I'm going to check this out as soon as the ferry starts running again.

For those not wanting to visit Mackinaw Island, it is a requirement to call for a ride from the Transit Authority  over the bridge. Because of COVID, that ride is no longer available, forcing cyclists to take the ferry to Mackinaw Island in order to continue north.

Reply    Link    Flag
3 years ago
Michael BifanoTo Kelly Iniguez

Ludington seems like a great place to start a tour. Their state park is easily one of the best in the state, with miles of sand dunes. It's also very safe in Northern Michigan--much safer than Muskegon, which is on par with Flint, Detroit, and Saginaw as the most dangerous cities in Michigan (the bike trail is safe, but I definitely would get through without stopping anywhere). 

As far as Mackinac Island goes, it could be worse. That's because the place is a nirvana for cyclists. The trail around the island is my favorite in the country. Eight miles of bliss! The interior is just as nice. I would spend at least most of the day there. Especially in June, which is the Lilac Festival. The whole place is lilac for about a month. Every type.

Reply    Link    Flag
3 years ago
Mike JamisonTo Kelly Iniguez

Hi Kelly and Others - I'm almost certain you are correct in thinking parking is free in Ludington. Last September my wife and I did a tour in Michigan and took the ferry from Wisconsin (our home state) to begin riding in Michigan. We parked our car free for nearly 10 days on the Wisco side of the lake with the same ferry company. I'd wager the parking is free on the Ludington side as well.

Reply    Link    Flag
3 years ago
marilyn swettTo Kelly Iniguez

Kelly - We've taken the Badger twice and enjoyed it both times. It takes about 4 hours to cross the lake but there is lots to do on the ship. You could even get a massage! The water was smooth but neither of us is prone to seasickness. 

The Badger is a historic landmark and well worth doing just for that fact. Who knows how much longer it will be in service. If your goal is just get across the lake as fast as you can, then go the fast ferry route. If you want a more enjoyable trip that you'll always remember, then go the slow route. 

I did just review my journal from one trip that took us south to Milwaukee. Yes, the ride initially south from Manitowac was pleasant on roads and a trail, but once in Milwaukee, we found the trails/lack of signage to be a nightmare. Even our host that helped get us into the city got lost at one point! 

And the roads in town that we were on were very potholed and cracked - some of the worst we'd ever been on. I'd think twice about biking into that city if I were you. 

Other than that, we've enjoyed riding in Michigan and Wisconsin around the lake.

Reply    Link    Flag
3 years ago
Scott AndersonTo marilyn swett

What journal is that, and is it posted here?  We’re considering a short tour through Wisconsin later this spring in conjunction with visiting our son’s family, and are shopping around for ideas.

Reply    Link    Flag
3 years ago
marilyn swettTo Scott Anderson

It's not posted here yet as I haven't had time and don't know how to move it from Crazyguy. There are 2 journals that cover some of Wisconsin: The Limo Rides the Freedom Train and The Limo Loops the Lake. Maybe they'll help with your routing. 

Reply    Link    Flag
3 years ago
Scott AndersonTo marilyn swett

thanks.  I’ll have a look.  We’re you aware that Jeff (website administrator) may be able to import your journals for you?

Reply    Link    Flag
3 years ago
marilyn swettTo Scott Anderson

Yes, I've sent an e-mail to Jeff. Let me know if you have questions about riding in Wisconsin. What's nice is that their back roads are paved (unlike other states) which was supposedly due to the dairy industry - they wanted the milk trucks to be able to get to the farms!

Reply    Link    Flag
3 years ago
Mike JamisonTo Scott Anderson

Scott, we live in southern Wisconsin and have cycled in many parts of the state. We’d be happy to be a resource for you if it helps in any way.

Reply    Link    Flag
3 years ago