Journal Comments - A Few Days In A Snow Globe - CycleBlaze

From A Few Days In A Snow Globe by Gregory Garceau

Gregory Garceau replied to a comment by Emily Sharp on One More Totally Uncalled-For Journal Entry

Oh, and I forgot to address that "Tough Guy" thing. No, I don't feel like I have to prove it to myself or anybody else. I'm sure you already know that's just part of my schtick. But I do feel the need to challenge myself to do something weird and brag about it every once in a while.

4 months ago

Thank you, Emily, and I'm glad you managed to find this. I think it was about three years ago we had a great icicle season. Not so much the last couple of years. Hopefully I'll be able to fulfill your icicle request in February or March. I can't promise I can make a tour of it though, but for sure I'll post it on Cycle365.

That's really nice of you to be thinking of The Feeshko. Her knee is probably at about 80-90%, which is probably about as good as it's going to get. Still, that's better than it was. The timing of your message is almost eerie, however. The Feeshko slipped on our back stairs last Wednesday and sprained her ankle pretty badly. She is now ambling around in one of those big, plastic walking boots prescribed by the orthopedist.

4 months ago
Emily Sharp commented on One More Totally Uncalled-For Journal Entry

Sorry I missed your tour while you were pedaling. It's great that you thought outside the box and made a winter tour happen. I really don't think you need to prove you are a tough guy at this point though. At some point you just know you are tough. And we all know it too! Or is it something you have to prove in your 20s and then have to reaffirm after 60 - to prove you aren't going soft? I think I'm a tough chick but I don't feel like I have to prove it to myself anymore. I did do one of my first solo backpacking trips - 7 days in the mtns above Colorado Springs - over my 20th birthday. It got down to 12-14F every night. Like you, I thought that was pretty miserable. It probably helped build me into a tough chick, but I decided I didn't want to camp when it was that cold ever again. And I have not. I think my lower limit now is about 25-27F, but preferably above freezing!

I admired your perseverance throughout this tour and your love of riding on snow and ice. I used to enjoy it, too, but the closest I get now is soft, slick gravel. It's also a country where very few people understand that there is snowman snow and there is snow that is good for skiing/sledding. You made me smile when you described the difference. I'm glad you got some of that after the ride was finished.

I hope you are inspired to try some other winter tours - I'd love to see a tour of giant icicles where you seek out and describe the longest thickest lengths of ice throughout the metro area :-) It's nice to have the Feeshko's support of your zany riding and blogging ideas. I hope her knee is fully back to normal now - I worried about her last icy season trying to get about after surgery in treacherous conditions!

4 months ago
Jacquie Gaudet replied to a comment by Keith Klein on The Grand Sweeping Conclusion

Ha! From someone whose fortune has granted him retirement in Burgundy!

5 months ago
Gregory Garceau replied to a comment by marilyn swett on a photo in One More Totally Uncalled-For Journal Entry

I saw that tumbleweed snowman in your journal. I agree, it was even cooler than a snowman made of snow.

5 months ago
Gregory Garceau replied to a comment by marilyn swett on One More Totally Uncalled-For Journal Entry

Absolutely. After so many near misses, that would be great.

marilyn swett commented on One More Totally Uncalled-For Journal Entry

I don't know exactly what our travel plans are for next summer, but there's a good chance we'll be in the Twin Cities area - biking and dancing. Maybe if you're around we could hook up somewhere on the road.

5 months ago
Rachael Anderson replied to a comment by Gregory Garceau on The Grand Sweeping Conclusion

My pleasure!

5 months ago
marilyn swett commented on a photo in One More Totally Uncalled-For Journal Entry

Awesome! But it's not as good as the tumbleweed snowman we saw in New Mexico! But guess you go to work with what you have.

5 months ago
Gregory Garceau replied to a comment by Kelly Iniguez on The Grand Sweeping Conclusion

Yes, I do hope to finally get my Texas/New Mexico tour done in 2022. It's been postponed so many times it's embarrassing--especially since I've had the introductory pages posted for almost two years. https://www.cycleblaze.com/journals/ersatzcowboy/

Kelly Iniguez commented on The Grand Sweeping Conclusion

Reading about your tour reminded me of my hard core days of commuting year round with studded tires, etc. I quit being that bad ass a long time ago - you can still claim the title!

I don't think you need to camp next trip. We don't need you frozen!

Do you have any tentative plans for 2022?

Kelly

5 months ago
marilyn swett replied to a comment by Gregory Garceau on The Grand Sweeping Conclusion

Ok, I'm waiting for that one!! Now me - I'm heading for the south. Forget this snow and cold crap!

5 months ago
Gregory Garceau replied to a comment by Keith Klein on The Grand Sweeping Conclusion

Wow! The longest and best comment yet. Thanks Keith. Someday I'd like to hear about that bear encounter in Hudson. While I was "oot & aboot" on this tour, I did think about heading over to Hudson for a night. If I'd have known about bears being there, that would have sealed the deal.

5 months ago
Gregory Garceau replied to a comment by Scott Anderson on The Grand Sweeping Conclusion

Scott, maybe you'll change your mind about a winter tour after you get bored of touring all over the world 365 days a year.

5 months ago
Gregory Garceau replied to a comment by Rachael Anderson on The Grand Sweeping Conclusion

Thank you Rocky for making Cycle365 available for me to express my goofiness when I'm not on tour.