Journal Comments - Chris Cross America - CycleBlaze

From Chris Cross America by Chris George

Keith Adams commented on Day 107, to Prineville: The penultimate climb

Congratulations on that 4,000th mile Chris- not to mention the 3,999 that preceded it!

2 hours ago
marilyn swett commented on a photo in Day 106, to Mitchell: Fascinating fossils and a hugely hospitable hostel

Wow - they've really upgraded things at the hostel! I remember staying there about 10 years ago and we slept on the floor of the sanctuary. It was still nice then but it sounds perfect now for touring cyclists.

1 day ago
George Hall replied to a comment by Keith Adams on Day 105, to Dayville:

FWIW, I also slept up front near the pulpit in 2015. I reasoned that I had spent a lot of my youthful Sunday mornings asleep in the back row of a church so I may as well sleep up front for once! I loved the church hostel, they had free pancake mix for my breakfast - they told me that the laundry and some of the other facilities (including the free food) had been purchased with cyclist donations, so I also left a donation there.

1 day ago
Keith Adams commented on Day 105, to Dayville:

Dayville Community Church! I slept in the little nook behind the pulpit. :)

1 day ago
Susan Carpenter commented on Day 102, to Richland, OREGON: Bat(s) Out of Hell('s Canyon)

Your comments about drivers rolling coal and rarely slowing down for cyclists are among the major reasons I choose to tour in Europe.

Dani Moore commented on Day 97, to Wilderness Gateway Campground, IDAHO: I guess it gets hot in Idaho, too

Oops. I forgot that we biked 75 miles to Dubois. THAT was my longest ride in 9 years.

Scott Anderson replied to a comment by Chris George on Day 86, to Bannack State Park: A long climb through wide-open Montana to a hopping ghost town:

Or maybe wear a helmet next time?

Chris George replied to a comment by Scott Anderson on Day 86, to Bannack State Park: A long climb through wide-open Montana to a hopping ghost town:

Funny follow-up story:
This past Friday night, Dani was trying to throw the lock (with the rope attached) over a tree branch, and on one attempt, the lock went almost straight up in the air and slightly behind her. "RUN!" she cried. Luckily, the lock did not hit anyone or anything but the ground.
Maybe we will try a different method next time.

George Hall commented on Day 98, to Kooskia: Kooskia Days

Loving your journal as it reminds me of my own crossing. Your decision to leave early is good - it's actually going to get even drier and more challenging as you make your way across Idaho and eastern Oregon - in fact, the heat can become quite dangerous. Carry more water than you think you need and consider getting up even earlier (I know that sounds crazy, but I was given this same advice in 2015 and was glad that I followed it). Hell's Canyon area can live up to the name.

Dani Moore commented on a photo in Day 96, to Lolo Hot Springs: Back into the heat of the moment

I'm so glad you included this pic because I failed to mention the two designated MOOSE XINGS we crossed today.

Lucy Martin commented on Days 92-95 (26th-29th zero days): A tour of the glistening Glacier National Park in Catalina the Cat Bus

Baby swans are cygnets (I know this thanks to EB White’s Trumpet of the Swan which I read approximately 15 times as a child).

Bill Shaneyfelt commented on a photo in Day 89, to Missoula: A pilgrimage to the Mecca of bicycle touring

Gotta love it when 2 journals I am following cross paths and actually meet!

2 weeks ago
Scott Anderson commented on Day 86, to Bannack State Park: A long climb through wide-open Montana to a hopping ghost town:

I know it wasn’t funny at the time, but the bike lock story is the funniest thing I’ve read for awhile.

2 weeks ago
George Hall commented on Day 85, to Twin Bridges: Over the mountain and through historic towns, to bicycle camp we go

I'm reliving my Transam experience (7 years ago) through your journal - I recognize most of the roadway scenery photos and find myself longing to ride this route again. Maybe someday I will. You have a lot of interesting travel remaining and I'm looking forward to reading about it.

3 weeks ago
Scott Anderson commented on Day 85, to Twin Bridges: Over the mountain and through historic towns, to bicycle camp we go

I’ve never heard of Alder Gulch before but this makes me want to go see what remains of it.

3 weeks ago