Journal Comments - Bridging the Gap - CycleBlaze

From Bridging the Gap by Susan Carpenter

Scott Anderson commented on a photo in Eldora

Here’s another one that looks like a French chateau.

20 hours ago
Scott Anderson commented on a photo in Bridges of Madison County

Wow!

20 hours ago
Rachael Anderson commented on Bridges of Madison County

I’m so glad neither of you got bitten by the dog! I’m so impressed by the wonderful pictures and the climbing you did!

20 hours ago
Scott Anderson commented on a photo in Bridges of Madison County

What a great bird shot! Nice barn, too.

20 hours ago
Rachael Anderson commented on a photo in Bridges of Madison County

Wow! That looks really hard!

20 hours ago
Jon Ayling commented on a photo in My Hub - Part I

Fascinating, thanks Susan. Outside Cambridge they have the DNA cycleway, to commemorate Watson & Crick (and Franklin and Wilkins, of course!) decorated with 10,000 bases from the BRCA2 gene. It also apparently represents the 10,000th mile of the national cycle network - though this is less obvious! In some ways it's a shame they didn't go with something a bit more thought-provoking, like this.

Susan Carpenter commented on My Hub - Part I

Thanks Greg - it means a lot coming from someone with Iowa roots. Hope you're doing well up in the Twin Cities.

Susan Carpenter replied to a comment by Mike Ayling on My Hub - Part I

Thanks Mike!

Gregory Garceau commented on My Hub - Part I

Hi Susan, I grew up in northeast Iowa and a few of my friends went to ISU. So did my brother. I've been on the campus several times--including a RAGBRAI overnight in a tent on the lawn near the library--but I've never gotten a tour as enjoyable as the one you just gave. Thanks.

Mike Ayling commented on My Hub - Part I

Very informative Susan!

Susan Carpenter commented on a photo in My Hub - Part I

Not returning to Pullman? - I must have missed something.

Susan Carpenter commented on a photo in My Hub - Part I

Agreed! The quote is attributed to Robert Sinsheimer, a pioneer in the field of DNA and molecular biology. He was one of the first to suggest the sequencing of the human genome. I was surprised to learn that he was an ISU faculty member for seven years.

Scott Anderson commented on a photo in My Hub - Part I

Hard to argue with that assertion.

Scott Anderson commented on a photo in My Hub - Part I

I was sorry to read about Cobumora, something I missed in my WSU walkabout. It looks like I’ve missed my chance for this year too, because we won’t be returning to Pullman after all.

Susan Carpenter replied to a comment by Scott Anderson on Story Time

Thanks for spurring me on to investigate -this is what I learned

The first settlers to this area, when it was all prairie, came from the US states of Indiana, New York and Pennsylvania, before the wave of Scandinavian and German immigrants in the 1850's. The county boundaries were established in 1846 and the county was named in 1853 for Joseph Story, a US Supreme Court justice.

I ask, why Joseph Story? It's not clear to me. Story was born, raised and educated in Massachusetts, so he wasn't a local man. But he was a very influential Justice on the Marshall Court and wrote some significant opinions establishing a strong Federal Union at the expense of State power. To quote Wikipedia, "Story saw state sovereignty as a threat to the stability of the American empire. ...asserting the sovereignty of the people of the United States, rather than that of the states, was integral to forming the national republic." Seems a viewpoint we might need right now.

Re naming Story City: It was originally known as Fairview, but in 1881 they went to establish a post office and found that the name Fairview was taken. So they took the name Story City. It is not the county seat, which is Nevada (pronounced Nuh-VAY-Dah and named after the Sierra Nevada Mountain Range).

2 weeks ago