Down to one hand - Balkan Dreams - CycleBlaze

August 14, 2020

Down to one hand

We leave for Croatia in five days.  We can count the remaining steps on one hand: today, get our first PCR test; tomorrow and Sunday, get out for early rides on days where the forecast is in the high 90’s; Monday, put our belongings in storage; Tuesday, get our final PCR test, drop Rodriguez and the Straggler off at the bike locker, drop the Jetta off with Bruce and Andrea, and order a taxi for our trip to the airport early Wednesday morning.  

If we leave for Croatia at all, of course.  Their doors are still open, but there’s still abundant room for everything to collapse at the last minute. Since the last post, case numbers have been rising significantly in Croatia, as they are throughout Europe now.  Rates are still low by US standards, so if we can get in we’ll go.  Border restrictions change every day though so we won’t really know until the day of the flight.

Other than that there’s nothing really new to report on this project or our lives in this interlude.  Rachael is strenuously biking daily, and I’m getting out but somewhat less strenuously.  We’re more or less packed to go, and today we’re off to get the first of our two PCR tests.  Ouch!  My nose hurts already just thinking about it.

I don’t anticipate any other real news until we either actually depart or scrap the plan or improvise  something else, so this is probably the last post until we’re in transit.  In the meantime, here are a few pics from around town.  See you in Zagreb, we hope.

An update: we just had our PCR test, and it really wasn’t uncomfortable at all.  Yippee!

Image not found :(
Leaving our home of the moment, on our way to Sauvie Island. We’re in the basement, with our entrance in the back down a short but steep flight of stairs with a locked door at the bottom. A bit awkward with the bikes at first, but we’ve about gotten it down by now. OK for two weeks, but probably not for a longer stay.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Image not found :(
Many storefronts in the core within a few blocks of the federal courthouse are wrapped in plywood. A bit unsightly, but it does provide a lot of canvasses for new wall art.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Image not found :(
That’s the infamous federal courthouse building across the intersection. Notice the fence, concrete barricades, and the bike lane. At last report, the city was still billing $500 every 15 minutes for unauthorized use of the city street and the feds had run up a tab over a half million dollars.
Heart 2 Comment 1
Mike AylingMake sure you exercise your civic duty and get a postal vote for the Federal election!
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
The entire east wall (the one facing Naito Parkway and the river) of the World Trade Center is newly decorated with a gallery of colorful, pointed murals.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Very nice, Curlie Turtle!
Heart 3 Comment 0
Justice for Floyd.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Fist hair. Nice touch that the fists are biracial.
Heart 3 Comment 0
A reminder.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Mmm, bacon!
Heart 3 Comment 0
A last look at Rodriguez before he heads to the dark room for a five month hibernation.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 6
Comment on this entry Comment 10
Bob DistelbergGood luck! Fingers crossed for you.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Bob DistelbergThanks, Bob! We’re feeling pretty encouraged at this point, because what can go wrong in five days, really. But then, Optimism R Us.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Tricia GrahamGood luck I hope you make it
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Jen RahnGlad the PCR test went OK. Did you swab your own noses, or did they do it?

I've heard varying opinions about the test .. the most recent being that it tickles.

Hope the final prep goes smoothy. And may your travels be happy and Covid-free!

Next post "Dobro jutro iz Zagreba!"
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Suzanne GibsonThis can't be your last post! Come on, keep us entertained until you go. Just kidding, stay focused and don't lose your glasses or anything. Hope all goes super smoothly and I look forward to welcoming you to this side of the big pont.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Suzanne GibsonWell, there’s a funny story about the glasses. Thanks for the reminder, I guess. I may have to fit another post in after all.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Jen RahnThe doc swabbed us, and there was nothing to it. Tickling is just about right. All that wasted anxiety!
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Patrick O'HaraAll the best, Scott. Here's to a smooth and flawless transition to your adventure. Thanks for the PHTQ! You are both an inspiration!
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Patrick O'HaraThanks, Patrick. Looks like this show is really going to happen!
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Tricia GrahamThanks, Tricia. Looking good so far! It will take a force majeure to stop us at the this point.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago