Day 5 Gila Bend, AZ to Casa Grande, AZ - Gass-powered Tandem: xcountry - CycleBlaze

March 4, 2021

Day 5 Gila Bend, AZ to Casa Grande, AZ

Heart 1 Comment 0

We were all quite excited to ride  only 75 miles today.  Left Gila Bend at 8:05 after having breakfast in our rooms.  Our Best Western Space Age Lodge   had a restaurant that provided us with a take-out breakfast. 

Heart 2 Comment 0

   Our first 18 miles were on a decent road  that gradually but steadily went uphill through the Sonoran Desert.  Winds were light SW or NW.  So far, we have always seen mountain ridges on the horizon.  It's quite beautiful. 

Heart 2 Comment 0

We are also starting to see different cacti.

Ocotillo cactus just about to bud.
Heart 3 Comment 2
Devra JohnsonJust for the record....Ocotillo is considered a desert shrub not a cactus.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Francie GassTo Devra JohnsonThank you, Devra!
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Classic
Heart 4 Comment 0

The Sonoran Desert was the highlight of the day.  Unfortunately it was also the site of a huge landfill.  Dump trucks sped past us...some closer than others.

Just outside of Maricopa, Rocio had a flat on a lovely smooth road.  This is only the second flat of the trip (both Rocio's!) 

Heart 0 Comment 0
Keeping her company until Dennis came in the van to help.
Heart 0 Comment 0

On our final 15 mile stretch into Casa Grande we passed several HUGE feed lots.  Winds switched to the NE so it was a push to get to our hotel.

Heart 0 Comment 0

Delicious dinner at C.G.Q. House (BBQ), oh and we also did laundry at the hotel...simple pleasures!  

Today's ride: 75 miles (121 km)
Total: 2,484 miles (3,998 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 11
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Doug ColeBeautiful scenery and a space-age motel! It appears you are sticking within sight of each other on the rides. Hope the chemistry is good amongst the team. Nice steady BPMs today.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Bobbi GassI'm glad you are all looking out for one another. Gorgeous cacti pics! Enjoy the simple pleasures :-)
Reply to this comment
3 years ago