Day 4 Wellton, AZ to Gila Bend, AZ - Gass-powered Tandem: xcountry - CycleBlaze

March 3, 2021

Day 4 Wellton, AZ to Gila Bend, AZ

Heart 0 Comment 1
Fred GassWe are (puff) trying to (puff, puff) catch up with yo (p---- .
Reply to this comment
3 years ago

We left  Wellton at 7:45 (later than yesterday because several of us wanted to sleep in a bit.  It has been difficult to do anything other than ride and eat. Blogging, talking to family means we get to bed late!).  Another sunny cloudless sky and temp in the 40's.  We bundle up in the a.m. and remove layers by 10 a.m.  (the right clothing makes all the difference!) We spent the day on Old Hwy 80, I-8 and frontage roads.   I-8 in this area is a dream!  New smooth surface, wide debris-free shoulders.  Views from the rest area at mile 26 for the day were lovely.

Looking NW
Heart 1 Comment 0
Looking SW
Heart 1 Comment 0
Back row: Tom, Dennis, Francie, Tony, Jerr. Front row: Rocio and Theresa
Heart 1 Comment 0

We continued on Old Hwy 80 and the SE winds picked up to 20+ mph.  After 11 miles, we got on the freeway again, with trepidation...there is sometimes a fine line between HARD and Scary.  We managed the freeway by Ken leaning into the wind and by me hunkering down to lower our profile.  My view for the next 18 miles was this:

Ken's jersey
Heart 2 Comment 0

Safely got off the freeway in record time because the winds shifted to  SSW (that West part helped us go 25 mph!!)  and onto the frontage road for the final 14 miles to Gila Bend.  The winds by now were gusting to 30.  At our final water stop, we claimed the title "Bad Ass Gasses". 

Heart 6 Comment 1
Joann JohnsonBad Ass Gasses is the truth! Geez, the wind!!!!! Wowzer. Keep strong!!
Reply to this comment
3 years ago

Take a look at the surface of the frontage road...this is typical in our 4 day experience and as you can see the winds whipped up a sand storm. 

Heart 1 Comment 2
Fred GassI'd recognize Ken's shoulder anywhere!
Go, Ken, Go!!
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Tifanie TreterCrazy! The wind and dust!
Reply to this comment
3 years ago

Visibility improved in Gila Bend, but the winds won't die down until late tonight.   Going to bed early!!!

Today's ride: 88 miles (142 km)
Total: 2,572 miles (4,139 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 10
Comment on this entry Comment 7
Jeanna & Kerry Smith"Bad Ass Gasses" is a perfect title for you two. I love it!!!
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Rachael AndersonWow! You both are amazing covering so many miles with wind included.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Glenn GassWow, we are truly impressed! And aghast (agassed). Exhausting just to read! But what an adventure. Looks like dramatic vistas and bright blues skies (aside from the dust). It is fun to follow your journal and the photos. Eerie to see border wall.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Lindap StevensNever known Bad Ass Gasses to back down from a challenge!! Way to go you two!!
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Margery GassHope you had a good night's sleep after this leg! I can almost taste the dust. Surprised you were so close to THE WALL. Your photos are wonderful. Looking forward to more.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Bed SamYou guys are officially nuts!
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Steven Ban Just catching up on your blog. Those headwinds sound nasty, but if anyone can conquer them, it’s the Bad Ass Gasses!
BTW, the St. Charles, MO tee shirt brought back memories of my youth: It’s a suburb of my home town, St. Louis, and the home of a college girlfriend....
Reply to this comment
3 years ago