Here is what is ahead of us - Gass-powered Tandem: xcountry - CycleBlaze

February 5, 2021

Here is what is ahead of us

Our itinerary and a map of the southern tier route:

Heart 3 Comment 3
Carole BausellSo excited for your upcoming adventure!
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Mary Coulthurst GlazeHi Francie and Ken,
Thanks for sending this my way Francie. I'm thrilled for you both and will do my best to follow along.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Steven BanHi Francie and Ken,
What an amazing adventure! Why am I not surprised?! Fingers crossed the Texas freeze isn’t bimodal!😄 Jan is relieved to know you’re not doing this alone.
One good karma: You’re celebrating your finish on my birthday.
Looking forward to following you across the country. Have fun and stay safe!
Steve
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Heart 3 Comment 1
Devra JohnsonHey Ken and Francie, I see that your biking adventure starts in a couple of days. Have a wonderful trip!! Will look forward to your blog entries. Safe travels! Devra
Reply to this comment
3 years ago

We leave 3 weeks from today...training 4-5 days a week, with 3 days in a row and averaging 40 miles on short days, 70 on long days. 

We have had our first vaccine dose and should get the second on Feb 22.  Hoping we don't get much of a side effect from the second dose! 

As more of a runner in the past, I'm hoping this year of cycling has prepared me for this epic journey.  Ken, with many more cycling miles under his pedals, will lead the way...literally and figuratively!

Rate this entry's writing Heart 21
Comment on this entry Comment 13
Joann JohnsonAdventure is coming!!!! So awesome!!
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Kelly IniguezWe want to know more! Hotels? Camping? Touring with a company? I say that only because the truly obsessed among us (counting myself there) plan in that much detail for a tour.

Of course, we need a photo of the bike and gear! You can be in the photo if you like . . . :)

I'm excited to follow along.

Kelly
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Francie GassTo Kelly IniguezKelly, The short answer is: we are on a tour with Cycle of Life Adventures. Fully supported...staying in hotels, meals will mostly be take-out due to Covid 19. There are 6 of us on this trip and we are the only tandem. Lots more to come! Thanks for your interest.
Francie
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Kelly IniguezI'm all in on motel rooms and restaurant meals!

I looked at their website, their Colorado tour has excellent routing (Colorado resident here) - You won't catch me riding 110 miles with 8,000 feet of climbing in one day. I'd change the overnights - but the route catches many special areas.

If they recommend two extra chains for a regular bike, does that mean you need to bring four extras?
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Mike AylingHi Francie and Ken, welcome to CycleBlaze.
Mary and I also ride tandem so we look forward to reading about other tandem rides. Like Kelly once you reach a certain age milestone credit card touring is the only was to go.
When I first glanced at your title I envisaged a smoky two stroke motor on the back of your bike, then I say that your name has the extra S!

Mike
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Mike AylingTo Kelly IniguezHi Kelly,

A non recumbent tandem has one chain from the stokers position to the back wheel so same as a single bike so far.
The timing chain which links the pilot to the stoker is usually about one and three quarter chain lengths so unless you can find a bike shop than has a bulk roll of chain call that two chains.
You could prejoin your timing chains and save carrying those extra links that you don't need but as the timing chain runs a straight line it does not wear out as quickly as the drive chain.
You could post a query on the Tandem at Hobbes discussion group on timing chainlife.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Ken GassOur 2014 Co-Motion tandem uses Gates carbon belts instead of chains, short timing belt and long drive belt. We will carry an extra of each (along with extra spokes, brake pads, etc.), yet our belts show no wear after 7,000 miles. We clean them religiously, then spray on a silicone lube/protectant. We have a Rohloff speedhub in the rear axle with 14 speeds, which we could flush out and refresh with lubricant annually, but every 3,000 mi. is acceptable.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Mike AylingTo Ken GassHi Ken

Bet you won't need to replace your drive belts on your ride.
Do your Rohloff oil change before you start and you will be good to go.
Unless you are into fast riding with frequent close ratio gear changes the Rohloff is the only way to go for touring.
You just reminded me that February is when my Rohloffs are due their oil change!

Mike
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Rich FrasierHi Ken and Francie -

Sounds like a great adventure! I'm looking forward to reading about the journey.

It's good to see some other tandem folks on Cycleblaze!

Rich
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Ken GassTo Mike AylingMike, you have politely ignored my error in describing basic tandem engineering, the longer belt/chain connecting the pilot to the stoker is the timing b/c and the shorter b/c from the stoker to the rear wheel is the drive. In the case of the internally geared Rohloff Speedhub the drive belt is straight as well. And yes, I have cleaned and re-lubed the Rohloff for our xcountry ride.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Jeanna & Kerry SmithSo excited to follow along with your trip. We can't wait to meet up in Florida for the final days of your journey - and the first days of ours. Have vaccine, will travel!
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Rachael AndersonSounds like a great trip! We just recently left Tucson after a 2 month stay and are in Borrego Springs now and heading to Utah soon. We are just doing day rides but look forward to doing touring again.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Mike GallagherTo Francie Gass!As you and Ken prep for your first day of rest, Annie and I are on our way for 2nd vaccination. Arizona has been good to us hopefully for you guys. Sleep well
Mike G
Reply to this comment
3 years ago