Day 3 El Centro, CA to Wellton, AZ - Gass-powered Tandem: xcountry - CycleBlaze

March 2, 2021

Day 3 El Centro, CA to Wellton, AZ

Heart 0 Comment 0

We left El Centro at 7:10 a.m., 40 degrees, sunny and winds once again from the NE but only about 5 mph (though they increased to about 10 later in the day).  El Centro is in the Imperial Valley - huge agricultural area. 

Irrigation field looking West
Heart 0 Comment 0

We passed through a lot of terrain in 97 miles!  Early on it was pretty dismal.

Heart 1 Comment 0

We also were on every kind of road, from broken up asphalt on a frontage road to busy 4 lane commercial streets of Yuma to Interstate 8.   Our friend Jerry Boles, who grew up in El Centro, told us about the All American Canal that brings water from the Colorado River to the Imperial Valley...the only water source!  This canal is near the Dunes.

Heart 1 Comment 2
Tifanie TreterTo Tifanie TreterTo it being the only water source....
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Dunes
Heart 0 Comment 0
Dunes with border wall in the distance
Heart 1 Comment 0

Dennis provided many water stops today which was greatly appreciated as it was close to 80.  

Heart 5 Comment 1
Bobbi GassCute! Do you guys have electric headsets in those helmets?
Reply to this comment
3 years ago

Got out of the heat and sun for lunch at the Yuma library.

The man standing on the left is Dennis' assistant Tom. They take turns driving the van and being the sweeper on a bike.
Heart 0 Comment 0

After Yuma, we had miles on the Interstate...not much fun though if trucks could, they would move to the left away from us on the shoulder.

Half way up a 600 ft. climb. The downhill is 1 mile ahead.
Heart 2 Comment 0
1.3 miles downhill before we exited. Not fun with a debris filled shoulder.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Mostly flat going into Wellton, AZ with beautiful ridges and green fields.

Looking North
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

We all are amazed that we survived 97 miles today.  The best part was there wasn't as much wind or hills.  After the first 2 days this long day wasn't so bad!  Arrived in Wellton at 6:30 MST.

Today's ride: 97 miles (156 km)
Total: 2,669 miles (4,295 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 8
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Jeanna & Kerry SmithWhat!! You couldn't get in an extra 3 miles for a century?? Seriously though - WAY TO GO!!

Kerry
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Joann JohnsonMan, it sounds like such tough riding. Both being on the highway and bad road surface. I sure hope you are getting good sleep!!!! Jo
Reply to this comment
3 years ago