Day 2 Pine Valley, CA to El Centro, CA - Gass-powered Tandem: xcountry - CycleBlaze

March 1, 2021

Day 2 Pine Valley, CA to El Centro, CA

Heart 1 Comment 0

Another sunny morning as we left lovely Pine Valley.

Heart 1 Comment 1
Tifanie TreterCan not even imagine the wind you all are dealing with out there!
Reply to this comment
3 years ago

The winds did not die down however.  We rode UP and out of Pine Valley with gusts of wind in the high 20's from the NE.  It was scary at times.  Ken and I needed help staying upright while getting on the bike!  To give you an idea of how hard it was - it took all of us 2 hours to ride 15 miles -cyclists know that is slow.  But after mile 15 the winds decreased a bit and by mile 40 weren't bad at all but still from the NE.

We have moved to the dry desert. 

Heart 0 Comment 0

And we were very close to the Mexican border.

Border wall
Heart 1 Comment 1
Tifanie TreterOh my gosh so weird to see the border wall.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Border wall continues
Heart 1 Comment 0

We rode 9 miles on the freeway, going down 6% grades and winding through hills of red and grey rock that looked like it had been dumped by a dump truck into piles.  It was amazing.  (no good picture)

The last 40 miles were mostly downhill or flat.  We could really cruise. 

Heart 0 Comment 0

 The roads outside of El Centro were terribly broken up. El Centro has huge fields of vegetables and solar panels!!    To bed - tomorrow is a long day and we lose an hour as we move to MST. 

Today's ride: 80 miles (129 km)
Total: 2,749 miles (4,424 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 11
Comment on this entry Comment 1
Joann JohnsonYour description of the wind makes me cringe. I am sure it was scary. So nice to hear at least half of this day you didn't have wind. jo
Reply to this comment
3 years ago