Day 1 San Diego, CA to Pine Valley, CA - Gass-powered Tandem: xcountry - CycleBlaze

February 28, 2021

Day 1 San Diego, CA to Pine Valley, CA

Heart 2 Comment 0

We woke to a gorgeous sunny day and had a large breakfast outside.

L to R: Seymour, Tony, Theresa, (back of Holly's head), Dennis (our leader)
Heart 1 Comment 0
L to R: Ken, Jerr, Rocio (RoSEEo), me
Heart 5 Comment 0
View towards Ocean Beach
Heart 1 Comment 0

 Took a group picture on the beach and set off at 9:07. Seymour is raising money with his ride for the International Pickle Ball Assoc.  His wife Holly is driving a Sprinter van where they are sleeping at night.  Dennis (Cycle of Life Adventures owner and our leader is very accommodating).  Jerr is riding an ebike.   We rode along the San Diego River bikeway again and then through suburbs and some bike trails .

Start of our Southern Tier Adventure on San Diego's Ocean Beach. Our missing rider is Tom, the assistant leader, who took the picture.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Walker Preserve Trail, Santee, CA
Heart 8 Comment 0

At 28 miles, we had a picnic lunch by the side of the road. Canopy was a very welcome addition.

Ken, Jerr, Dennis (standing), Seymour and Francie
Heart 4 Comment 0

The hill that never ended began after lunch.  I thought we were so sluggish, I was sure we had a flat...nope...we had NE winds up to 20 mph.  Where were those prevailing westerlies??  It was grueling. Felt like running a marathon.  Here is a view of the Pacific to the west...terrible picture, but gives you maybe a sense of the mts. we rode through.

Heart 1 Comment 0

Here we are trying to look happy that we have  reached the 42 mile mark.  Ken was having leg cramps.

Heart 3 Comment 1
Carole BausellFeeling for you guys! Poor Ken.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago

Got into Pine Valley around 5 p.m. Sun was behind the hills, temperature had dropped 20 degrees, wind was still whipping us...we were exhausted. Day one is in the book!

Today's ride: 52 miles (84 km)
Total: 2,801 miles (4,508 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 15
Comment on this entry Comment 6
Carole BausellBravo! Amazing team! Go Gass!
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Jeanna & Kerry SmithGood going! I don't think we've ever had a 5000+ elevation gain in one day. I'm impressed.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Jerry BolesDon't miss the big sign that says "Home of Jerry Boles" as you enter El Centro!
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Katie Gass20mph headwind sounds terrible! At least the views looked pretty nice. So is it all down hill from there? :)
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Joann JohnsonGetting caught up on your journal! Holy Moly! What a grueling first day! and leg cramps???? Yuck! JoAnn
Reply to this comment
3 years ago