Day 34 Franklinton, LA to Wiggins, MS - Gass-powered Tandem: xcountry - CycleBlaze

April 2, 2021

Day 34 Franklinton, LA to Wiggins, MS

Heart 0 Comment 0

Yesterday and today we started our rides with temperatures in the 40's!  Today, it only warmed up to the 60's. The sun was out though and we rode through beautiful Mississippi countryside.

Early morning in the country.
Heart 4 Comment 0

This peaceful morning was marred by another dog death.  For the second day in a row, a chasing dog was hit by a passing car.  Today, we were all together and witnessed it. (Yesterday, Ken and I were the only cyclists nearby).  It was traumatic! I asked Dennis how common this was and he replied that he has never seen a dog hit by a car. 

Even more upsetting is the sad news that Holly got in an accident and though she is fine, the RV is severely damaged. She is still in Bogalusa, LA  dealing with the van and Seymour is in Wiggins with us but at another hotel as ours was full!  Quite the mess.

Around mile 25, we crossed the Pearl River into Mississippi!

Pearl River
Heart 1 Comment 0
Flooded area next to the river
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0

We had rolling hills today; Mississippi is definitely less wet and marshy.  We were on country roads all day with lovely scenery.

Heart 2 Comment 1
Devra JohnsonWow! How wonderful to ride these roads!!
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Heart 2 Comment 0
Many country roads in LA and MS are named after people...like Dan & Shirley Road or this one: Delos & Sandy's PL
Heart 2 Comment 1
Margery GassNice they use both names...
Reply to this comment
3 years ago

There is a new Mississippi flag as of January 2021, but we haven't seen it yet.

Heart 1 Comment 0
Pine forest that will be logged. Many logging trucks passed us today.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Spiderwort
Heart 1 Comment 0

We are all happy to be at a Hampton Inn but also to enjoy some MS home cooking at the Whistle Stop Cafe.

Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 81 miles (130 km)
Total: 668 miles (1,075 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 6
Comment on this entry Comment 5
Scott AndersonUnbelievable story about that dog. I’ve never seen that either, although there is a dog from last spring I wish had gotten hit before he bit me first. I’ve still got a scar from that one.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Ken GassOuch! Yes, we were all traumatized emotionally, but not physically, unlike the dogs in our reports.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Tifanie TreterI'm so sorry that you had to experience that not once, but twice! It's a bummer that country roads and chasing dogs go hand in hand.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Francie GassThank you, Tifanie. It really was awful.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Kathy OstenI’m glad Holly appears to be okay. Hope she will be able to rejoin the group somehow. Is the RV repairable? So sorry you had to witness the dogs. All too common in the South. Also wondering if the new MS flag will catch on...
Reply to this comment
3 years ago