Day 21 Camp Wood, TX to Ingram, TX - Gass-powered Tandem: xcountry - CycleBlaze

March 20, 2021

Day 21 Camp Wood, TX to Ingram, TX

Heart 0 Comment 4
Margery GassIs this known to be the toughest leg of the entire trip? I hope so for your sake.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Francie GassI hope so, but I'm not convinced. We asked Dennis repeatedly and he did not answer with a convincing yes in my opinion. I'm nervous about today. Only 37 miles but more hills. So glad we have a rest day tomorrow.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Joe NoltingWow, that’s some serious climbing! I’m glad it’s behind you.
Thanks for the great pictures.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Ken GassThank you, Joe. I can't believe we are now over half-way across the Southern Tier. After our day off here in Fredericksburg, the ride E to Austin will be our last 80+ mile ride with nearly 4,000 ft of climbing. Of course a ride with only 1,000 ft of climb, all at 8-12%, would be a little harsh. I better have a look at the upcoming elevation profiles:)
Reply to this comment
3 years ago

OMG, one of the hardest days yet AND OMG, Ken is back to his strong riding self!

We knew this was going to be hard from looking at the elevation map, so we requested an early start.  We took off from Camp Wood at 8.   In the first 40 miles, we climbed 4 monstrous hills... I don't know how to describe them except to say they were steep!  The grade ranged from 4-15%.  For those of you who aren't cyclists, highways' steepest grade is 6%.  We are SO proud of ourselves.  My quads are sore as can be.  Everyone else is tired, but not particularly sore.  We were on the "Texas Hill Country Trail ".  Wind was light enough today to not really be a factor (nice change!)

Rocio after the first big hill, these are just rolling hills in between the steeper ones.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Jeanna & Kerry SmithWe usually go immediately to "four on the floor" for any grade over 10% unless it is very short. Respect for pedaling up any 15% slope - to all of you.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
View below us
Heart 1 Comment 0

So much greener in the hill country and some trees are blooming.

Hills around us
Heart 1 Comment 0
I used to hate S curves, but now I realize the grade is less steep. The fourth steep hill was straight up (no pic)
Heart 2 Comment 0

We are so appreciative of Dennis and Tom.  They stay behind the last rider(s) which often is us - at least when there are uphills (our momentum carries us very fast downhill).  We had to stop to rest on two of the steep hills and we needed one of them to give us a push uphill so that we had enough momentum to stay upright!

We completed the 4th steep hill - fatigued and so happy.
Heart 5 Comment 2
Fred GassThe terrific tandem, back in form!
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Jeanna & Kerry SmithI'm impressed. I think you're both amazing - the Kick Ass Gasses!
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Tom at the top of the last steep hill
Heart 0 Comment 2
Katie GassIs he riding a recumbent the whole way? Does that make him more efficient?
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Francie GassApparently not more efficient, but definitely more comfortable. The seat is quite a thick cushion and you don't bend over.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago

Around mile 60 we entered Hunt, TX and its surrounds.  There were beautiful houses along the Guadalupe River which is a slow moving bucolic river. 

Blooming tree in Hunt, TX. ID?
Heart 3 Comment 2
Jeanna & Kerry SmithEastern redbud tree
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Francie GassThank you!!
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Rest stop along the Guadalupe River
Heart 4 Comment 1
Fred GassThis looks like a very restful spot. If I had ridden a bike to reach it, I'd want to spread a blanket and bliss out.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago

Ingram, TX doesn't have much to recommend it, but our hotel is adequate and dinner at the Lakehouse in neighboring Kerrville was superb.

Today's ride: 80 miles (129 km)
Total: 1,475 miles (2,374 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 8
Comment on this entry Comment 5
Krista GordonOMG! 15%!!! That is Tour de France steep! I'm impressed!
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Francie GassYes! Krista, Lance Armstrong trained in this area!
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Katie GassProud of you guys! That is super duper steep. Quad killer!
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Francie GassDefinitely. Though, I seem to be the only one with killed quads. : )
So happy that Dad is back to his usual. We have really encouraged each other. Quite wonderful.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Joann JohnsonWow! I am so impressed with the endurance this adventure is requiring. I was getting worried about Ken and bam....he's back! I am sure your legs have never been put to such work in your life!!! The hill country looks very nice! So enjoying keeping track! Hugs to you both!
Reply to this comment
3 years ago