Day 22 Ingram, TX to Fredericksburg, TX - Gass-powered Tandem: xcountry - CycleBlaze

March 21, 2021

Day 22 Ingram, TX to Fredericksburg, TX

Heart 0 Comment 0

After another short killer hill at mile 10 (seriously, I almost walked), today's ride was glorious.  We were on top of a hill with small ranches around us, on a limestone chip seal road that was smooth and though it was a county road, it felt like we were on someone's private ranch road.  

Hill top road with 4 bikes in view
Heart 1 Comment 0
Small cattle ranch
Heart 1 Comment 0

We were surprised to see these sheep with such big horns.  Not sure what breed they are.

Look at the horns on this guy-gal! The trees are Live Oaks, many of which have been damaged by a fungus and then the big ice storm of early Feb.
Heart 7 Comment 1
Devra JohnsonGreat photo! Love the craggy tree in foreground with with long horn captured in the background.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Heart 3 Comment 0
County road that felt like a private road!
Heart 3 Comment 2
Devra JohnsonLooks like a beautiful ride with more visual variety. 👍👍👍
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Joann JohnsonThe picture makes it look like a dirt road! Limestone, wow!
Reply to this comment
3 years ago

Fredericksburg is a tourist town with a German theme...not to the extent of Leavenworth, WA, but many German restaurants and breweries. 

Tony, Theresa, Tom, Dennis, Rocio, me. Seymour and his wife Holly were supposed to join us, but he rode ahead of us and got very lost. They often eat in their RV anyway.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Downtown Fredericksburg and an example of a limestone building. We have seen beautiful limestone houses too.
Heart 2 Comment 0

Pacific Fleet Master  Admiral Chester Nimitz grew up in Fredericksburg and there is a Nimitz museum here.  He agreed to it only if it honored all the veterans of the Pacific war.  We walked the grounds which include a courtyard of plaques for all those who died and a Japanese peace garden.

Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 6 Comment 1
Margery GassWow: Halfway! Congrats!
You two are amazing!!
Reply to this comment
3 years ago

We are half-way across our Southern Tier Ride!

Tomorrow we rest in Fredericksburg and see Ken's Andover friends from San Antonio and Midland! 

Today's ride: 37 miles (60 km)
Total: 1,395 miles (2,245 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 9
Comment on this entry Comment 4
Doug ColeCongratulations on the half way Point! Really enjoying the reports and photos. Are you expecting your recovering rider to rejoin soon?
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Ken GassTo Doug ColeYes, at this point Jerr from Lexington, MO plans to rejoin us just before we leave TX. He will fly into Beaumont,TX and meet us at our stop in Lumberton, TX.

We heard a report that the Pensacola Bay Bridge on our route from AL to FL will not be re-opened from hurricane damage until May, not as planned on today's date.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Steven BanCatching up here.
Congrats on making the halfway point; that’s got to boost your morale!
BTW, is one of those Andover buddies W?!😄
Reply to this comment
3 years ago