Day 16 Rest day in Ft. Davis, TX - Gass-powered Tandem: xcountry - CycleBlaze

March 15, 2021

Day 16 Rest day in Ft. Davis, TX

We are somewhat flabbergasted by how interesting Ft. Davis is.   It is definitely a tourist town with lots of history.  It was a confederate supply point and frontier outpost on the road from San Antonio to El Paso 1861-62.  The old fort is now a National Historic Site.  In 1866, the Buffalo Soldiers were formed. They were Black soldiers who were enlisted due to a lack of soldiers to fight the Native Americans and guard the stage coaches.  We are in Jeff Davis County which along with Presidio and Brewster Counties constitutes Big Bend Area (a big bend in the Rio Grande).  As I mentioned yesterday, the hills are beautiful and there are lots of hiking trails and a 70 mile scenic drive in the Davis Mts.  Hummingbirds apparently are migrating north from Mexico now!  Hope to see them! I thought the confederate history would completely turn me off to this town, but it feels quite modern and even progressive.  We have been so pleased that stores are ignoring Gov Abbott's call to stop wearing masks.  Masks are required in all the establishments we have been in.

Main street of Ft. Davis. We are staying in the second floor of this annex to the Hotel Limpia
Heart 1 Comment 0
Further down Main St.
Heart 3 Comment 0
top of the courthouse
Heart 2 Comment 0
Hotel Limpia
Heart 1 Comment 0
Front Entry
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 1
Margery GassSo interesting.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
The winds continue to pick up in the afternoons...
Heart 2 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 6
Comment on this entry Comment 4
Steven BanYou are staying next door to the Harvard Hotel?!! Not a hotel name I would ever expect to encounter in a town named after the president of the Confederacy!
Hope you get your energy back during rest day.
Francie, I am in awe of your physical stamina and determination! Since those are Ken’s middle names, I’m less impressed with his efforts.😀
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Ken GassTo Steven BanAu contraire, Steve, Francie has always pushed herself as a runner and now as a cyclist! And yes, Harvard must have had a field study program here back in the early half of the prior century, as housed faculty in the building that now bears its name.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Steven BanTo Ken GassKen, I stand corrected and now informed re Francie’s physical toughness....just one of many reasons that you’re “made for each other”!
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Glenn GassThis place does look amazing! You are seriously in The West!
Reply to this comment
3 years ago