Day 13 El Paso, TX to Ft. Hancock, TX - Gass-powered Tandem: xcountry - CycleBlaze

March 12, 2021

Day 13 El Paso, TX to Ft. Hancock, TX

Heart 0 Comment 2
Bruce BowdenJust heard about this ride you guys are on......incredible !!
Love this blog with all the pictures.....it must take a heroic effort after a long day in the saddle to have the energy for the all the posts.

Thanks for letting me come along : ) bruce bowden
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Francie GassThanks, Bruce. It does take some effort, but we'll be glad to have it all down...can't remember one day from the next without some documentation!
Reply to this comment
3 years ago

We stayed at a Hampton Inn on the NW side of El Paso last night which meant that we had to get through all of El Paso this morning.  Due to construction, Dennis had to create a new route. We were not unhappy as it was 8 miles shorter and several hundred feet less of elevation!  It is very stressful riding through cities and we needed to stick together like ducklings because of traffic lights and turns.  The cool part was we saw industrial areas, the neighborhood near UT, downtown (empty at 9 a.m.) and the SE neighborhoods. It took us 28 miles to get out of El Paso.  The Rio Grande was a trickle of a stream - very surprising.  

The Wall in El Paso
Heart 1 Comment 0
Downtown El Paso from our rest stop
Heart 2 Comment 0

I forgot to mention that New Mexico doesn't recycle.  Painful throwing cans away!!! Texas apparently has some recycling.  

Our rest stops are wherever the van can pull over.  Today one of them was at a large gas station.  The bonus with that is we can use the rest room.

Classy rest stop on the SE side of El Paso
Heart 2 Comment 0
Another view from the rest stop. We still see mts in the distance
Heart 1 Comment 0

We had helpful winds today most of the way.  For a while we were on Texas 76 (the "farm road").

One of many pecan groves
Heart 3 Comment 2
Heather TinguelyFunny. You likely passed through Tornillo and whizzed by Sonic Ranch - a pecan farm and recording studio of one of our family friends. Very cool.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Old cotton field, pecan trees and distant mts
Heart 2 Comment 0

 The last ten miles to Ft. Hancock the 20-30 mph winds came broadside.  Apparently in spring, winds pick up in the afternoons in the SW.  Ft. Hancock is pretty barren.  When we came into town we were stopped by a train, so I took a picture behind me.

Ft. Hancock
Heart 0 Comment 0

I am writing this outside our motel room where I can find wifi.  

Heart 8 Comment 5
Devra JohnsonNice picture of you Francie.......especially after a long day of riding.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Francie GassTo Devra JohnsonThank you.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Francie GassTo Jeanna & Kerry SmithHi! : )
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Steven BanAnd not a trace of sunburn on your face...good job!!
Reply to this comment
3 years ago

Today's ride: 68 miles (109 km)
Total: 1,967 miles (3,166 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 13
Comment on this entry Comment 0