Day 14 Ft. Hancock, TX to Van Horn, TX - Gass-powered Tandem: xcountry - CycleBlaze

March 13, 2021

Day 14 Ft. Hancock, TX to Van Horn, TX

Heart 0 Comment 0

Angie's Restaurant, across the street from the Ft. Hancock Motel was great!! Had dinner and breakfast there.  Both are right beside I-10.  If you were on I-10 would you stop at this motel?

Heart 0 Comment 2
Katie GassHa! Wouldn’t have made it on our list if we were passing by... ;)
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Jeanna & Kerry SmithElectricity, climate control, hot running water in your private bathroom, a bed... These are the places where Kerry and I remind ourselves to appreciate the basics :)
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Heart 2 Comment 1
Steven BanLooks like Ken is holding a Saturday night special in his right hand!!!🤨
Reply to this comment
3 years ago

We should have taken a picture of Angie...a woman at least our age. 

Sunrise in Ft. Hancock
Heart 4 Comment 0


It was cool today, 50's to start and stayed in the mid 60's.  We had a tailwind most of the way of at least 20 mph.  When we had to cross it, it was brutal, but COASTING downhill at 39 mph was pretty sweet (though a little nerve wracking too since we were on the freeway and the shoulder had some debris).  Before getting on the freeway we were on country roads and frontage roads. 

Blowing dirt/sand
Heart 3 Comment 0
Seymour on the Farm Road
Heart 1 Comment 1
Margery GassLove the sign.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Shrub in the roadway and cows in green pasture (not a common site yet)
Heart 3 Comment 1
Jeanna & Kerry SmithTumbling tumbleweeds - we saw lots of them when we lived in Texas.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago

Got to Van Horn in record time.  Nothing  of note here except the renovated El Capitan Hotel which is now a destination spot (hotel, bar and restaurant) - quite a change from Ft. Hancock motel!

Hotel El Capitan, built 105 years ago, turned into a bank in the 1970's and in 2007 renovated back to a hotel
Heart 2 Comment 0
Hotel lobby
Heart 3 Comment 0
Hotel reception
Heart 0 Comment 0

 A few miles before entering Van Horn, we passed into Central Standard Time, thus losing an hour and tonight is the change to Daylight Savings Time!  Another hour lost.  Sunrise tomorrow is 8:10!!  We are experiencing dramatic winds and tomorrow is going to be in the 30's. (wind chill will be 21)  Dennis and Tom haven't seen this before.  It's an adventure and we knew that from the start.

Today's ride: 75 miles (121 km)
Total: 1,899 miles (3,056 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 11
Comment on this entry Comment 13
Bruce BowdenI suspect that " shrub " is a tumbleweed. Grew up with many of those..... bruce
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Katie GassWindchill in the 20’s in Texas in March?! Crazy indeed. Hopefully you got a good night’s rest. Good thing you trained for this in Bham.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Francie GassYes, we were just saying to each other.." good thing we know how to dress for this!"
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Francie GassTo Bruce BowdenKen and I had a "discussion" about whether it was a tumbleweed or not..
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Jeanna & Kerry SmithWarm wishes today!
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Joy VaughanTo Francie GassEvery time I sign on to see what's happening with you, I get absolutely exhausted just thinking of cold and wind and biking and trying to sleep in a new place each night. You are simply amazing!
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Bruce BowdenMany of your pictures show roads with little or no shoulder. Any special strategies for safely riding that type of situation ?

bruce
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Francie GassTo Joy VaughanThanks. The best thing I did in preparation was to pack a small flat pillow. I squeeze it in a vacuum bag for packing. I can't sleep on big thick pillows. This way, I can sleep for sure!
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Francie GassTo Bruce BowdenWe have rear view mirrors. The roads with no shoulders have very little traffic. It has not been scary.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Ken GassTo Bruce Bowden
Bruce,

In my humble, non-SW native opinion, I thought tumbleweeds were the skeletal structure of a discrete dried plant type; however, on further research I see that you are correct. Any plant uprooted blown in the wind is aptly named a tumbleweed.

Thanks. Now that we got that straight, how do you shut off these daily high winds, wait for spring??

Ken, from Ft. (Jefferson) Davis, TX
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Janis BanI love the hotel lobby! What an amazing trip across landscapes and cultures. 21 degrees wind chill??!! You are definitely super stars...or super nuts!
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Doug ColeFrancie & Ken: I'm really enjoying your journal. It just took a while to find the "submit comment" option. You're finding some real gems there. BTW, ever notice the similarity with the flags of Texas and Chile? Guess which one was first?

Doug
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Francie GassDoug,
We had not noticed the similarity...interesting. Begs the question, who proposed the flag design for Texas? We learned at breakfast that the N. Carolina flag is also similar.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago