The Gear - Grampies' World Class Local Tour Fall 2021 - CycleBlaze

October 11, 2021

The Gear

In the "old days" when we were starting out with bicycle touring and blogging, we and our fellow bloggers often spent a lot of time and photos detailing all the pieces of equipment we were bringing. It was a burning issue back then as to whether zero, one, or two pieces of underwear were worth bringing, etc.  Somehow now everyone seems to know those answers (ok, the answer is three - one to wear, one to wash, and one for spare). But what you bring for inner clothing, for outerwear, for electronics, for tools, etc. still requires some thought, and it depends on the season and the route.

So we had that "scene" today when all the gear is spread out on the dining room table and we decide what is coming and what is not.  But as I say, even that scene does not seem worth a photo these days. Still, there was something a bit new under our sun. That is matching and colour coordinated bags or stuff sacks. That may seem trivial, but it becomes significant when in the sudden downpour you try to remember where you put the darn rain pants.  

So now we have reached what we think is the ultimate in organization: all clothing in just five bags each.  Yellow is like "emergency" - serious rain gear; blue is for chilly times - long sleeved merino stuff; orange is - ok, I forget!

Colour coordinated clothing bags!
Heart 3 Comment 0

p.s. For experts noting "MEC" on these bags, that's  Mountain Equipment Co-op - purchased before they were sold out to the private sector! 

Rate this entry's writing Heart 11
Comment on this entry Comment 4
Suzanne GibsonIn iffy weather, the only bag I know for sure is the rain gear bag, and I'm sure to keep it on the top in the left hand pannier for easy access. The rest is kind of haphazard.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Jacquie GaudetI've been using ultralight MEC packing cubes and stuff sacks for years. Although I don't use the same bags for the same purpose on every trip, I am consistent during any given trip. When camping, the (dirty, wet) panniers stay in the tent vestibule and only the needed (clean, dry) inner bags come in.

As for what goes in which pannier, I've got a good system for 4 panniers. I have less than 3 weeks to develop a new one for two-pannier hotel-based tours.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesTo Jacquie GaudetI think we learned of the packing cubes from you!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesTo Suzanne GibsonSitting here eating my "last bagel" before setting off, I see out the window that I already need to find the warm and the wet bags!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago