The Route II - Grampies' World Class Local Tour Fall 2021 - CycleBlaze

October 11, 2021

The Route II

A ridiculous 102 km dash

On most tours we like to have a GPS track to follow, plus paper maps just to be sure. For this tour, given that we have lived in the area for over 40 years, you might think we would know where we are going. But no, everyone develops habitual routes and these might not expand much, even over 40 years. There are streets and neighbourhoods even within 5 km of our house that we have never seen!

Of course, also over 40 years, one accumulates quite a variety of road maps. Surely some of these would be good guides. But no, apparently none is good enough. However there is one, the only one we don't have, that is perfect. We just discovered its existence. 

This is from the same company that makes the great cycling map of Victoria.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Today of course is a holiday - Canadian Thanksgiving, but no matter, in our neighbourhood none of the stores have it anyway. But we did track the map down in Victoria - in the centre of Victoria at Munro's books. And they were open.

So guess who got bundled off to fight traffic for two hours to find our tenth map of this same region! This produces our first track for the tour, even though it was by car:

Heart 0 Comment 0

This track is not necessarily too interesting, certainly not to me. But there is a trick and a silver lining. If you would be inclined to zoom in on the Victoria end of the journey, you would see an inordinate amount of zigzagging by foot. What is that all about? Well, it's impossible for a Grampie to visit a town, even Victoria, without seeking out its best bakery. In this case, that is Crust Bakery on Fort Street. Crust is the only place in this region that knows how to make true French Viennoiseries. 

Perversely Crust was almost sold out. Maybe some sort of Covid phenomenon? Anyway, what they did have was still good!

First bakery of the tour - almost sold out. Still the pastries they did have were actually World Class!
Heart 3 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 9
Comment on this entry Comment 5
Jacquie GaudetI passed by Crust on one of my walks last week (we are spending October in Victoria) and it was lined up out the door. Now I know why.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Gregory GarceauType your comment here
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Laurie MarczakIt was thanksgiving! clearly everyone bought their dessert instead of making it.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesTo Laurie MarczakCould be, but they sure are popular!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Michel FleuranceI am back to fly with MSFS2020. My last flight was : Vancouver Island into a Cessna 172 fitted with a Garmin 1000 and floats. Taking off at Port Hardy, having fun to water land at Tahsis lac and finally land in Bamfield Seaplane Base. This stream https://worldtour.flights/flightplans/394 provided by a californian simmer '' Kip on the Ground ''
https://youtu.be/44eDu7slx9A. It was a lot of fun. I know that this weekend Oct-24-2021, you went through an hurricane but I set MSFS2020 to clear skies. Do not be surprised if one of these day I circle your house with my TBM 930, A320 neo, spitfire or Blériot XI taking off from Vancouver airport. Hey guys you are living so close from the Vancouver airport ready to fly the real world !
Reply to this comment
2 years ago