What Have We Been Doing?: Tour of Ft Riley - Off To See the Wizard - CycleBlaze

August 2, 2014

What Have We Been Doing?: Tour of Ft Riley

It seems that we have been here in JC over a week already! What have we been doing? Well for one not riding our bikes very much. The first two days were filled with reunion festivities. Then family started rolling in. My Uncle Jim from Harrisonville, MO. Then my sister Carol from Omaha, NE and finally my nephew and his family from Illinois and my two nieces from KC. So, we had a lot of catching up to do having not seen each other in at least a year.....and longer for some. In fact it was the first time I had met my great niece and nephew. There have been days filled with food and conversation.

Birthday Party For Everyone! The Birthday girl wanted a cake for everyone so we had 5!!
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Cakes!! One did suffer in transportation....but not taste!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Candles that won't blow out can be frustrating!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Uncle Jim and Mom. They Did Not Plan The Purple!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Jack and I have been busy doing yard work and general chores around the house for Mom...but we really moved when we got a new Crew Chief!
Heart 0 Comment 0

We did make it out for two bike rides. The first we tried to get to Ft Riley but we were heading right into rain.....so we turned and went towards the lake where we were again turned around by rain. We headed back to Mom's and made it in just before the rain hit her neighborhood. A few days later we tried again. We really wanted to tour Ft Riley by bike. Having grown up here it was always a favorite place of mine. The fort was established in 1854 and has a long history as a Cavalry Post. In fact my Dad graduated OCS on horse with the last graduating Cavalry unit in 1943. It was also the home of Colonel Custer and is now the home of the Big Red 1......1st Infantry Division. When I was growing up here it was an "open" base. Since 9-11 it has been closed to general traffic but you can still get on with ID.

My Home Town
Heart 0 Comment 0
We have some very old elevators! There are many newer ones but I liked these.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Center of the Continental US...Ft Riley
Heart 0 Comment 0
Beautiful Officers Quarters - Ft Riley
Heart 0 Comment 0
Next Door the Custer House
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Cavalry
Heart 0 Comment 0
Chief - Last Cavalry Horse at Ft Riley. If you do the math he was 36!
Heart 0 Comment 0
For The Horses and Mules That Served
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Tank Museum....Dad was a tank Instructor
Heart 0 Comment 0
Tank Wheels
Heart 0 Comment 0
Today it's More Helicopters than Tanks! They wouldn't let us get very close. They have about 50 Apache's there too but we couldn't see them well enough to photograph and besides think they had the security following us. Not many bikers on base!
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Big Red 1!!
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 27 miles (43 km)
Total: 2,307 miles (3,713 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 0