Day 21 - Powell, ID to Lolo, MT: Satisfied and Tickled Too...Taj Mahal Style - Off To See the Wizard - CycleBlaze

June 19, 2014

Day 21 - Powell, ID to Lolo, MT: Satisfied and Tickled Too...Taj Mahal Style

Today was a nearly perfect ride. We were up and out by 7am expecting a long grind of 13 mi with over 1500ft of elevation.The rain had stopped as predicted and there was fog with high overcast and no wind. The climb continued as it had on the previous ride (now two days prior) gradual incline and nothing to steep for about eight miles. Then it picked up some incline but it wasn't bad (can you believe I am saying that?!) and ended right at mile 13 as we expected. The summit has a visitors center with free hot chocolate, tea or coffee. Nice touch, as it was pretty darn cold at 5,235 ft at 9:30 am. We did the climb in record time.....

Leaving Lochsa Lodge. That was our cabin right behind Jack. It was a triplex.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Done- Section 3 TransAm - Baker City, OR to Lolo, MT
Heart 0 Comment 0

Next - Section 4 Missoula/Lolo, MT to West Yellowstone, MT (328 mi)

Section 4 TransAm
Heart 0 Comment 0

The ride was through mostly Cedar and Fir forests. With the cool damp air it was like riding along in a cedar closet. We passed through a several mile section of what must have been a big fire in the last year as there is no new growth yet. It was amazing to see how close it came to some homes and how hard the fire crew must have worked to save them. We only saw a few that didn't make it. It was a beautiful valley along the Lolo Creek with the Lolo Peak in the distance.

Forest
Heart 0 Comment 0
Lolo Creek....thinking of my photography buddy Celie with all this water! Sorry Celie...didn't have time to do a well timed shot. On the run!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Pretty much the day
Heart 1 Comment 0
Some great rock formations near Lolo Hot Springs
Heart 0 Comment 0
Also need to watch for Moose evidently ...didn't see any.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Fence along the way
Heart 0 Comment 0
Oh yea...Montana Baby!!!
Heart 1 Comment 0

The ride down from the pass was at 0% incline or -1 for 37 sweet miles! With a slight tail wind. Couldn't have been better! So, that's when I started humming "Satisfied and Tickled Too" a great song by Taj Mahal. 

We came into Lolo and looked for the camping ground listed on our map and spent about 30 minutes looking for it....talked with a deputy sheriff. He said he thought it was a car lot now......so, here we are in Days Inn (with great WiF). It was this or back track several miles and that wasn't even a possibility. There is so much pollen in the air here it looked like it was/is snowing. Cottonwood I think.

This is why Jack was so fast today.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Stove in our room at the lodge.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Inside the Lochsa Lodge....I prefer my animals live!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Outside the Lodge...seems to be leaning a little. Think that was me.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 50 miles (80 km)
Total: 775 miles (1,247 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 0